Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Couple of my Clematis

Posted by lindama MA z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 13:16

Clematis is one of my favorite vines, I love them and have somewhere around 10 or 11 so far. Unfortunately, I'm running out of places to plant them and am in the process of trying to figure out where to move a couple of mine that aren't doing well in the spot where they're currently planted.

Here are a couple of photos of the ones that are currently in bloom in my garden.

Madame Baron-Veillard, Hagley Hybrid and Bonanza

photo IMG_0014_zpsa65b5a88.jpg

Silver Moon

photo SilverMoonClematis_zps87bb0d74.jpg

Venosa Violacea - This photo does not do the vine justice.

photo ClematisVV_zps4f1851ad.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Couple of my Clematis

OH MY sooo pretty!!

o

Very nice. My Hagley is in full bloom and is a favorite pink.

o

• Posted by ditas z4-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 10:59

Beautiful ~ TY for posting!!!

My HH-Pink Chiffon is done w/ her 1st show - sigh! I failed to hard prune early this spring since I did prune to 10" before overwintering. She didn't do as well this season now that I set her in the ground. Do I prune her now and how far down?

Elsa was my 1st to bloom & 1st done, I pruned the upper 3rd as suggested to encourage another surge, is this right?

BTW I bookmarked *Clems. on the Web* & consult there with the 12 I have ~ but there are no suggestions on dealing w/ *after 1st show* nor *sudden wilt syndrome*. Am learning as I go ... new again to Clem care!

TIA for all the help in this Forum!!!

o

I hard pruned my Hayley Hybrid,Madame Baron V and VV very early this spring, around early March and they are all doing spectacular. As for Bonanza, I transplanted this one from out in front of my house to where she is now with HH and Mad. V. B. and she's doing a lot better but nothing like the other two. I've tried doing both, pruning in the fall and in the spring, depending on clem. and I've had good luck with both ways, so it's really hard for me to say.

I believe it also depends on the area where they are planted, also zone, sun/shade, water amount, soil, etc. etc. A couple of my neighbors fertilize their clematis' but I never do and get good results.

I know this spring I amended the soil in one of my perennial beds with loads of coffee grinds and shrimp and blueberry compost from the coast of Maine, and the plants are growing like crazy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here