Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenobsessednewbie

Which Clem should I buy next?

I have an unexpected trellis opening. Due to poor research on my part, I have discovered that a vine I planted, is going to be ridiculously invasive. That's not what I want, so it has to go. :(

So, I have already planted Ville de Lyon and am thinking another Clematis would be my best bet. I like bright, vibrant bloom colors and am looking for something that will not be invasive. I would like it to behave, be happy on it's trellis (7' tall 3'ft wide) and most importantly, one that isn't going to throw shoots underground.

Tell me about your favs!

Comments (6)

• pmermakov
    11 years ago

There are so many on my list of favorites! Are looking for a trellis partner for Ville de Lyon? If so I love my combo of Ville de Lyon and Emila Plater. Another good choice would Prince Charles.

What was the invasive clematis you had to dig up? I just planted Helios last year and he is putting out tons of suckers and acting crazy on me. It is a shame because I loved the yellow lateen shaped flowers.

• GardenObsessedNewbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The one I got rid of was not a Clematis. It was an Akebia. (Chocolate)

Can I plant 2 vines to grow on the same trellis? I thought each vine needed their own space. ?? I have 2 trellis' that are about 6 feet apart. They are rather large but I'm just worried about dirt space since they are in a narrow strip between my drive way and the house. Thanks for your suggestions @pmermakov...I'll look at those.

• goren
    11 years ago

Ville De Lyon is a class 'C' variety and as such you want to be sure to plant a similar variety lest you confuse the time and method of pruning.
    I suggest you look at Ernest Markham, a similar RED that would enhance the wide color of the trellis.
    Both then would be much easier to prune at the same time...early spring...i.e. March/April...and are cut down to about 18" of the ground and come back superbly with much flowering.

Aside from the choice I suggest, do be sure to pick a variety that is the same pruning timetable as your Ville

• GardenObsessedNewbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@goren... What a coincidence. I was just doing some researching last night (geez the possibilities are endless) and thought that sticking with the same prune class for a trellis mate would probably be smart. I also remember coming across Ernest Markham and thinking that he was quite handsome. I like your thoughts on the red being an enhancement to Ville de Lyon. I wouldn't have thought of it myself. I was leaning towards a different shade of pink, but am now thinking red is such a better idea. Thank you so much!

How about my other trellis? It's the same size. For that one I was leaning towards a yellow/purple color combo, though I haven't found any specific clems that blow my mind yet. I would like to stick with the late bloomers, just because I am in Texas and let's face it, there isn't a whole lot of dramatic beauty going on during our summers. Most of my garden is in full force much earlier in the year and I like knowing that I have some late blooming choices...aside from tumblweeds. Lol. I also just read somewhere last night that many, many late bloomers can hold up in my zones summer heat (100's) and be wilt resistant. I think it was the viticellas? Have any suggestions?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

I agree with pmermakov, go with either 'Emila Plater' or 'Prince Charles', these varieties look tremondous paired up with 'Ville de Lyon'!

• kentstar
    11 years ago

Just a note for you: Ernest Markham is not always red. He comes up a pinkish violet color for me, not red at all! He is a good clem and grower but definitely not red :)

kentstar

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida