Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this clematis please?

Posted by eilnan UK (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 14:00

Hi
We moved into our house 3 years ago and this clematis flowered in the spring or summer but has not flowered since. I can't quite remember the colour or the month it flowered but was hoping someone would recognise it. And maybe advise why it doesn't flower and what I might need to do to get it to flower again.
Many thanks
Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify this clematis please?

Sorry but that does not look like any kind of clematis foliage I am familiar with - looks a whole lot more like Parthenocissus. Does it turn color in fall and lose its leaves?

o

I was told by friend of previous owners that it was clematis. To be honest I am not sure if leaves change colour. Not a dramatic change anyway like the red leaves on that plant when I checked it out on google images. It does lose its leaves on autumn/winter. Sorry for vagueness of Info but I have only recently taken on the job of gardening!

o

Doesn't look like any clematis that I know. Does it get little red berries?

Perhaps there was a clematis in the same area that may have died back or is tangled in amongst this foliage and isn't blooming because it is overwhelmed by this.

o

No berries on it sorry. It has a pink flower I have been told. The leaves have only appeared within the last month or so and I cut it back last year so don't think so. Thank you for your comments, the mystery continues!

o

No, not a clematis. Sorry. Looks like a Virginia creeper to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: virginia creeper

o

Gardengal48 mentioned that plant also. Does it grow in UK which is where I am.

o

Thank you everyone for your help. Yes mnwsgal, perhaps the clematis has died back. Will be keeping an eye on this one over the summer and autumn and pay more attention to the changes. Thanks for link grow_darnit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here