Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Betty C and other Pictures

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 14:41

Although Betty Corning has just barely reached the top of my arbor, she has certainly done a complete job obliterating most of it from sight.

Photobucket

Betty looks great with her companion rose Westerland:

Photobucket

Venosa Violacea and Gypsy Queen flank my bedroom windows and add some rich purple blue to the mixed bed.

Photobucket

Gypsy Queen

Photobucket

GQ makes a nice background for Hollyhocks

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Betty C and other Pictures

How pretty! The hollyhocks do look pretty with GQ don't they.

o

Stunning!!..You've come a long way my friend..well done...Jeanne

o

Just beautiful...

o

You have some beautiful plants growing and I enjoyed looking at them. Keep posting so we can see more. Thanks for the entertainment.

o

Wow, what a beautiful garden. Your BC is huge! Does yours have any fragrance? Mine is just starting to bloom and has no fragrance which is disapointing. You companion plantings look so nice with your clematis. Thanks for sharing. Karen

o

Your garden is lovely, how old is your Betty Corning? Mine is a year old and has a few buds on it but my little friends, the chipmunks, have managed to dig it up and tear it down a few times already this summer so not sure how well it's going to do.

Linda

o

I think I have that same hollyhock. Is it Peaches and Dreams? Love your BC. She is a vigorous and beautiful thing and mine does have fragrance. Your garden looks wonderful, Harry!

Carol

o

Wonderful! I love Betty Corning. Really like your arbor too.

My holyhocks have holes too. Any clue "who" is doing it? I can't see any bugs on them.

o

How beautiful! I love the color combinations. Those hollyhocks are divine too!

o

Beautiful pictures! I love Betty Corning--if I could have only one plant in my entire garden, she would be it.

o

Thanks everyone. I keep forgetting there is a Gallery with this Forum.

Linda - Betty C is in year three. Bloom production is unbelievable. I have to do a lot of trimming and knitting if I want to be able to walk through the arbor.

Westerland opens orange but quickly fades to a salmon/yellow blend which which is perfect for the soft blue of BC.

Karen - I can't detect much fragrance. But, I can't detect fragrance in many roses others swoon over. Funny, because many garden plants like lilac, viburnum and butterfly bush smell very strong to me.

DW is responsible for the hollyhocks. She saw one in bloom and had to have it. We both are warming to peach tones. This one seems to be a true perennial unlike other HH's I have tried. I don't know what is chewing on the leaves, but in a few days the Japanese beetles will discover the flowers.

o

Harry:
As usual, I am inspired by your photos! I have Venosa Violacea on my list for next year. I also have to tell you that my Mayflower is doing very well and even my Tamoras which have done nothing for a few years, have taken off. Anything else I should be considering?
Carol

o

Just wonderful Harry. I love the arbor that Betty Corning graces!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here