Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

Big Betty C and other Pictures

Although Betty Corning has just barely reached the top of my arbor, she has certainly done a complete job obliterating most of it from sight.

{{gwi:227067}}

Betty looks great with her companion rose Westerland:

{{gwi:226504}}

Venosa Violacea and Gypsy Queen flank my bedroom windows and add some rich purple blue to the mixed bed.

{{gwi:310384}}

Gypsy Queen

{{gwi:600437}}

GQ makes a nice background for Hollyhocks

{{gwi:600438}}

Comments (13)

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

How pretty! The hollyhocks do look pretty with GQ don't they.

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Stunning!!..You've come a long way my friend..well done...Jeanne

• salem_moondance
    15 years ago

Just beautiful...

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

You have some beautiful plants growing and I enjoyed looking at them. Keep posting so we can see more. Thanks for the entertainment.

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful garden. Your BC is huge! Does yours have any fragrance? Mine is just starting to bloom and has no fragrance which is disapointing. You companion plantings look so nice with your clematis. Thanks for sharing. Karen

• LindaMA
    15 years ago

Your garden is lovely, how old is your Betty Corning? Mine is a year old and has a few buds on it but my little friends, the chipmunks, have managed to dig it up and tear it down a few times already this summer so not sure how well it's going to do.

Linda

• carolfm
    15 years ago

I think I have that same hollyhock. Is it Peaches and Dreams? Love your BC. She is a vigorous and beautiful thing and mine does have fragrance. Your garden looks wonderful, Harry!

Carol

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Wonderful! I love Betty Corning. Really like your arbor too.

My holyhocks have holes too. Any clue "who" is doing it? I can't see any bugs on them.

• gardengirl_17
    15 years ago

How beautiful! I love the color combinations. Those hollyhocks are divine too!

• glassmouse
    15 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I love Betty Corning--if I could have only one plant in my entire garden, she would be it.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I keep forgetting there is a Gallery with this Forum.

Linda - Betty C is in year three. Bloom production is unbelievable. I have to do a lot of trimming and knitting if I want to be able to walk through the arbor.

Westerland opens orange but quickly fades to a salmon/yellow blend which which is perfect for the soft blue of BC.

Karen - I can't detect much fragrance. But, I can't detect fragrance in many roses others swoon over. Funny, because many garden plants like lilac, viburnum and butterfly bush smell very strong to me.

DW is responsible for the hollyhocks. She saw one in bloom and had to have it. We both are warming to peach tones. This one seems to be a true perennial unlike other HH's I have tried. I don't know what is chewing on the leaves, but in a few days the Japanese beetles will discover the flowers.

• carol_se_pa_6
    15 years ago

Harry:
    As usual, I am inspired by your photos! I have Venosa Violacea on my list for next year. I also have to tell you that my Mayflower is doing very well and even my Tamoras which have done nothing for a few years, have taken off. Anything else I should be considering?
    Carol

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Just wonderful Harry. I love the arbor that Betty Corning graces!