Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanabeth

How do I get out of this mess?

lizbeth-gardener
12 years ago

I'm a clematis newby and am in a quandry. I have a Jackmini that was planted by landscapers last May on my wooden trellis-I never wanted Jackmini/dark purple, but too busy to change it at the time. After researching I decided I wanted a Daniel Deronda with a white intertwined, so I got a Huldine. I thought they were both type three, but just discovered one is a two and the other is a three.

I had to mail order Daniel Deronda and it just came today from Silver Star. It looks great-big plant wrapped in damp newspaper and my Huldine is in a gallon pot (local purchase) and looks great, also.

The questions/problems are: If I plant a type two and three together, am I going to have a pruning nightmare?

Also the jackmini is growing gangbusters, covering the trellis and full of flowers. Can I transplant it now, and if so, do I hard prune it first ? Am also trying to beat the clock with rain forecast for next two days and need to keep the paper wrapped one alive.

Hope this makes sense and looking forward to some answers/advice!

Comments (12)

• bob414
    12 years ago

You can prune them both as type 3. DD is more likely to bloom at the same time as Huldine if you do. If you have to move Jackmanii you need to hard prune it.

• alina_1
    12 years ago

You can pot up your DD and Huldine and keep them potted till fall. That would help to avoid summer transplant shock for all three of them.

• lizbeth-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bob414: good to know it is possible to plant the two together if I decide to go that way. Am not sure about what that means bloom-wise as they both seem to bloom a long time if I am reading right.

alina: thanks for that info. I think I will go that route for now and maybe I can come up with a white type 3 to go with DD and plant the Huldine with another type 2.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I have Huldine and Daniel Deronda. Huldine grows much bigger than DD does. I would not plant those two together. Huldine will crowd DD out eventually if not sooner. DD is my favorite type II and I do prune him as a type III most years but he is not a huge grower. He is smaller than my smallest type III and is twice as old/mature.

DD is also not too different in color from Jackmanii. It is more denim blue purple than dark dark purple but still purple.

I wouldn't put Huldine and Jackmanii together either unless you are talking about a really big trellis. I have Huldine climbing a tree!

• bob414
    12 years ago

Many of my type 2 clematis have finished their first cycle of blooming and I will be cutting them back next week to get a 2nd cycle later. Most of my type 3's are just getting started. I trim Niobe as a type 2 and she and Venosa Viilacea are blooming together now. Some Niobe blooms are starting to fade. Many people would not like the combination but I do and that's all that counts in my garden.

{{gwi:600565}}

• garystpaul
    12 years ago

Bob, that's a beautiful combination. You've inspired me. Gary

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I have VV with Rouge Cardinal so that combination doesn't bother me at all. :)

• lizbeth-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now I'm really confused. I did pot DD so I do have some time to decide what to do.

B or S: I have seen your pic of your DD--thats why I wanted one. In the "Clematis on the Web" and in your pic, the DD comes across as a really rich medium lavendar--more like a darker version of an old fashioned lilac. My Jackmini is a very deep purple--reminds me of the "Velvet Jesus" pictures. I have this trellis behind double dark pink roses and Dwarf blue Queen Salvia in front of these. I thought the lighter color would make it pop more than the dark. Do you have any suggestions for what to put with my Jackmini if I keep it there or if I switch to DD , what white clem. I could pair it with?

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Huldine has the potential to reach fifteen feet or even higher.

Daniel Deronda is less than eight feet for me and is over ten years old.

It does fade somewhat in full sun and does have a lighter shading down the center of each tepal but I'd call it purple rather than lavender.

click the photos to see them larger:

The fence in this photo is only four feet tall...

{{gwi:600566}}

Here it is with Arctic Queen

{{gwi:600567}}

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I should have typed less than SIX feet not eight....My DD is less than six feet tall.

• lizbeth-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

B or S: Thanks for the pic's.Whatever color you want to call it, it still looks much lighter than my Jackmini and a color I find more pleasing.

That said, I think knowing the height of the Jackmini I can put it on the end side of our two story white garage. If I want a second to plant with it, any suggestions?

Also think I could use the DD on my current trellis which is only about 5' and get an Artic Queen to go with it --am assuming they work well together.

That leaves me with the Huldine and again I want to pair it with something! And what do you plant a 15' Clematis on other than a tree? I could plant on one end of my white house, but how do you trellis 15'?? or what would work besides a trellis that I wouldn't need a bucket truck to get to?

Sorry for soo many questions!--just trying to get it figured out.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Put your Huldine on a pillar that it can wrap around. Let it form a show-piece all by itself. Or put a second clematis there also. The point is that they will have the pillar all to themselves. If that pillar is placed somewhere in the garden or yard where there are darker things growing, the Huldine will light that area up like electricity.

Kate