Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalalandwi

Too ugly?

lalalandwi
14 years ago

My mission is a new trellis. I've been scrounging around the house looking for things to use. I came up with this fold up bed my sister loaned me when I first moved in, long story. Anyway she doesn't want it anymore, I'm not using it. Do you think it is too ugly to put in the yard? Either:

Intregrifolia style:

{{gwi:600665}}

or ideally for my type 3's I need to plant:

{{gwi:600668}}

If I use it for the type 3's, I would need to anchor it somehow & I have 1 of these laying around:

{{gwi:600674}}

This is a view from where I would need to attach somehow:

{{gwi:600676}}

Too ugly? You think it would work? Any suggestions on anchoring it? Or do think it should stay low profile & use it to put intregrifolias on? Honest opinions please! I don't won't to upset the neighbors with something that may look repulsive!

Comments (10)

• cohouser
    14 years ago

I absolutely love scavanged items used in the garden. I just bought one of those wavy-looking CD holders at the thrift store for a trellis, $1.99. You might be pushing the envelope a little bit, but I say go for it. Can you get the legs off? (I suppose you'd need a friend with an arc welder.) Then it would be a bit less bulky. You could paint it some amusing color, too.

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha ha, everyone must think it's tacky! The neighborhood kids came over to play with the dog & got their opinion...tuck it in the corner! I did get an opinion from a neighbor that loves to garden & she didn't think it was a problem at all. Her intake is that it will be covered in vines anyway & no one would probably be able to figure out what it is. She said go for it.

Thanks for the encouragement cohouser, I think I'm going to go for it. I think the only color I would paint it would be green so it blends in with other greenery. I love that CD holder idea! I'd love to see a pic of that!

Googling homemade trellis' was a lot of fun. It is amazing what people use. Believe it or not, I did see someone using exactly what I have but a smaller version. It looked like a baby crib. One that I thought was clever was a baby gate, it looked just like a trellis. Another person is using a picture frame holder, on & on. The gist of what I gathered is that clematis people are always looking for 'trellis' objects when shopping anywhere.

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to anchor it down. I do have some rebar lying around but not sure how easy it is to bend. Would tent stakes work?

• flowerfan2
    14 years ago

I have clematis growing on rusty old bedsprings also. I think it looks fine. The clematis cover it most of the year so you can hardly tell what it is anyway.

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Really? What are the odds? You make me feel good about my choice :)

• cnetter
    14 years ago

My spouse says he would paint it green and use three or four of those anchors you got.

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you cnetter! I don't have the luxury of asking a handy man! Thank your husband for me for taking the time to help out...greatly appreciated!

Raining today, so it will have to wait. I'll show a picture when it is complete.

• senko
    14 years ago

I like the upright position better. I would strech something on the behind-on the legs- and plant it double sided, and use it like a screen; will be nice from either side.
    In order to anchor with those stakes you need to put into some holes, which I see only one there. May be there are more. I have an arch with two of those anchors on each side and holds it well.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Upright..Painted green and will look stunning!!...Jeanne

• cnetter
    14 years ago

I'm fairly certain those anchors twist into the ground. Put a piece of rebar or something through the eye to give you a handle and twist. Unless you have very sandy soil they'll hold very well. Pulling them up could be quite hard.

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you guys so much for your help & opinions! I did get it spray painted green & bought the anchors but probably won't be putting it up. I think my life is going to change as I know it & the 2 clems I wanted to put on it are coming with me. See my new thread & would love to hear what you think.

THANK YOU!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company