Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advise on companion for SAC

Posted by pump_toad z4 iowa (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 15:01

I am quite sure everyone is going to say no,no,no don't do that but let me give you some details first.
I have a 3 year old SAC planted on a trellis on one side of a old metal clothesline pole which is cemented deeply in the ground. I would like to plant a clematis on the opposite side so they could intertwine.
If I go ahead with his what companion would you suggest?
If you still believe that it would be a mistake please be honest and I know I can count on you guys for that.
Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advise on companion for SAC

They seem so innocent when they are young, don't they?

You could try Polish Spirit.

If you want a big white vine that blooms earlier, after your SAC swallows up the trellis and one of your neighbors, Huldine is a good choice and will play nicely with the other bigger viticellas.

Do you get blooms on your SAC? Early frosts nipped the flower buds on mine a couple of times before the plant was in full bloom so I got rid of it.

o

Janetpetiole,
Thanks for reply. I can tell there was not much enthusiasm on the forum for this idea.LOL!!
I think I will try Polish Spirit and actually that was my first thought. I am not even sure my SAC is going to make it.I hard pruned this spring but only have 2 small shoots showing.It's doubtful.
Lois

o

If it survives, it will mostly likely smother whatever you put pair with it.

If you're going to order polish spirit or venosa violace you might as well get huldine too. Either would be stunning.

o

Thanks again. I do have Venosa and Huldine and actually I thought I had a Polish Spirit but after 5 years it has never bloomed so I think it was mislabled.I have hard pruned it every spring and maybe it is the type that should not be pruned. I have another Clem. growing beside it and it blooms so it must not be the soil condition.
I am going to try and get a Polish Spirit on sale so if SAC smothers it eventually I guess I could transplant or dig up.
Lois

o

Sounds like a good plan, Lois.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here