Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etherealsunshine5

What does a SAC seedling look like?

We had an unusually long and harsh winter in northern Illinois and I lost my Sweet Autumn Clematis (I thought). It was giant last fall...climbing up about 10 feet to the top of our 2nd story deck railing and rambling about 10 feet toward the south.

I waited and waited this spring, then finally took the pruners out to rip out the old vines from the netting. I kept trimming lower and lower...no green. Finally, with a sigh, I lopped off the big knuckle level with the ground, turned it over in my hand and....AAACK! There were about 4 or 5 tiny shoots coming out of the back side of the knuckle! It HAD survived, but then I decapitated it!

Now, before I order another SAC, I started thinking...lots of SAC owners say that they get lots of volunteer seedlings. I just weeded thoroughly last week in the bed where the SAC lived, but have several beds where seedlings might be surviving. Problem is...I can't seem to find a good photo of a clematis seedling anywhere online!

Can someone help me out? Now I'm sure that I've pulled up SAC volunteers that could have happily grown in their mother plant's spot!

Comments (3)