Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalalandwi

Anyone have experience with Confetti's growth size?

lalalandwi
14 years ago

COTW has her getting anywhere from 5-10'. Joy Creek says she'll definitely get the 10' & after searching 6 or so pages googling, I couldn't find any other info. Anyone growing her that can confirm more on the 10' side of the range? 5' will not work in this scenario & will have to make other plans.

TIA for any info!

Comments (11)

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Do any of your group 2s reach the top of the stated heights?

The group 2s I have usually are reach somewhere in the middle of the range.

• sheltieche
    14 years ago

I have mine in part shade with 4 feet trellises, they reached it by now and will go over it a little. They do bloom very profusely and it is type 3 pruning if I am not mistaken, at least that how they grow for me.
    Maybe if I give them 10 feet trellis and full sun they will reach 10 feet, they certainly very strong and prolific for it.

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

janetpetiole, it is a viticella, type 3 & want to plant it with another type 3 that has been reported as being vigorous & could potentially get 2.5x's the size of Confetti if it only grew 5'. It needs to be closer on the 10' side in order for it to work. I'm sorry, I should have explained myself better.

Lindalana, z5 IL, howdy neighbor! How long have you had yours? Seems yours is @ 5' now? I am so happy to hear it is great performer!

I do have a few smaller 3's that I could pair Confetti up with, Bonanza or Romatika. That means I would end up having to get 1 more clem...shucks :)

• sheltieche
    14 years ago

not that I am trying to talk you out of buying more clemmies but I would pair it up with other type 3 easily. Many type 3 do not have bloom on the lower part and Confetti is one blooming machine from the bottom to the top so you might have winning situation there. Many type 3 will have ugly bottoms but not Confetti.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I don't know why I thought it was a group 2. It's beautiful and would pair up nicely with many clematis.

Did you get Confetti at Steins?

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oooh, lindalana, excellent idea! I never looked at it that way! Thank you! Due to your excellent reviews, I'm now wanting to put her in a more prominent space than originally planned. Would you believe I haven't started any clems in my front yard yet? This is where she is going! I am so excited!

Hi janetpetiole, I did get it at Steins for $12.88 on sale while supplies last. There were about 10 or so to choose from & not sure how long that sale has been going on. Not sure how the store near you is set up, but I found these in the shrub section. They had a bunch of small 9.99 clems up front that weren't on sale so you might need to look around a bit.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I have to go back. I went right before closing one night, so I didn't have a chance to look around much. I saw a few on sale, Confetti included, tucked in with the higher priced Monrovia clematis.

I didn't see the small pots -- did they have any of the more hard to find clematis?

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I ended up going back @ 12 hrs later because I didn't want to take the chance on them getting sold out over the weekend when most people shop & they still had some on crates that weren't unloaded...not sure if they were part of the sale? I also picked up Galore, the one I want to pair Confetti with, which seems to be getting great reviews also (on sale too). Not sure what you consider hard to find but they had a Monrovia Julka. The rest in my mind I thought were common.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Julka is good. Thanks.

Hopefully it stops raining tomorrow.

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

My Confetti has been in the ground 3-4 years, in a lot of shade, and gets about 6-8' tall.

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Michael, that helps a lot! Is it blooming really good in that much shade? I still haven't planted it yet because I'm building the trellis for her. Where I want to put her gets alot of sun today, but years down the road she will get less & less as a tree fills in.