Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wet area and clematis

Posted by gladahmae 5, N MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 16:02

I have an area I would like to put 2 clematis in to climb around a fence. The only thing holding me back from planting is the fact that the soil in this area tends to be wet. It is near a creek (15ft away) and about 10 feet from the edge of a swampy area. The water level in the creek is about 8-12in below the soil level where I want to plant. I am more than willing to build a raised bed (up to a foot high)and ammend the soil with sand and peat just so I can get these clems in, but if it is going to rot the roots I will see if I can find somewhere else to put them. The location gets around 6 hours of sun each day (10am-4pm.)

This this a lost cause? Any advice or ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wet area and clematis

What happens when you make a hole, does water seep in? Too much moisture can lead to crown rot.

You could plant the clematis in wine barrel halves. There are sturdy plastic, realist looking half barrels available. I saw one at home depot that looked really nice. You won't have to worry about it rotting, and you could plant around them with plants that thrive in wet soils.

o

I didn't check to see if water would soak in or not. We've gotten about 4in of rain in the last 10 days, and it hasn't been particularly sunny, so things are a little extra soggy right now. Crown rot is exactly why I am asking questions!

I like the half-barrel idea. I think they would look really nice too. The only problem I see with those is that they cost $25+ dollars each around here and we can't afford that. It would be nice if I could have something that could sit there permanently. I forgot to post that this is by the road, behind the sign for the camp we are living are right now, so low maintenance is good.

o

The native Clematis crispa is also known as the swamp or marsh clematis that would work. I personally find it to be very attractive & purchased one locally last summer. I planted it at the base of my water fountain knowing it can take quite a bit of water. If you google it you can find pictures & more info.

o

You could build boxes similar in size, about 2'x2' out of scraps of pressure treated wood. Line the sides with a thicker plastic, like plastic sheeting or whatever you can find, so the soil and water don't leak out of the gaps in the sides. Just make sure water can drain out of the bottom. Adding little squares of scrap wood to each bottom corner for feet would allow water to drain easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here