Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violet Charm & Mrs Cholmondeley

Posted by summermusicz4ia 4 IA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 16:24

I have been lucky to find new-to-me large-size clems at both HD & Lowes this year. The other home improvement store has Violet Charm & Mrs Cholmondeley on sale. Large pots but only one vine, sparse, not nearly as healthy looking as the other stores. Are these varieties worth buying and giving TLC until fall, then planting out?
Both appear to be pale lavender so thinking they need partial shade. Any of you in the north grow these?
Thanks, Marlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violet Charm & Mrs Cholmondeley

Menards? I was there this last week & saw both of those for sale, but these are much nicer than the ones you are mentioning. I've seen Violet Charm at HD this year too. I've never seen Mrs C at one of these places til just now. I purchased her last summer from a nursery & she is taken her sweet time waking up this spring. I'm giving her the benefit that my weather has been crappy & her roots are shaded + being new. Although, I do have Candida right next to her (same nursery) that is currently blooming? Next year will be the true test.

o

I grow Mrs. C and really like her. She's blooming now and she's pretty...well, blowsy is a good word for it. Kind of loose and untamed, but I like the color. Mine is only about 7' tall and I thought she'd get taller, but still a winner in my book.

o

I have Violet Charm and like it a lot. Very nice, huge flowers, pretty tall - I have it on a 7' obelisk. It only gets morning sun, but doesn't mind it and blooms quite well. No wilt, no browning, no winter kill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here