Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zyperiris

help

Zyperiris
11 years ago

Hi gang. I grow roses and have been trying to grow Clematis amongst them..but they don't grow. I am in Zone 8, Gig Harbor Wa. If anyone is in my zone I sure would like some suggestions and which ones do well.

Comments (4)

• alina_1
    11 years ago

Try viticella Clematis. They are very easy to grow and they do well in your zone.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I'm just up the road from you in Poulsbo - any clematis does well here. One of the largest wholesale growers of clematis on the west coast is located just across the Sound from us, so not much of a shortage of available varieties, either.

Clematis do take some time to become established and the viticellas and their hybrids (heck, any of pruning group 3's) are some of the easiest and most robust of the types you can grow. Just follow proper planting procedures and you should be good to go!!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

You might want to read the FAQ linked below to start with and then browse through some of the other FQs. If there are specific issues you are concerned about, take some photos and post them so we can see what the problems are.
    Clematis do best if they are planted with the crown several inches below ground level. They like consistent moisture - not super soggy, but not dry. Mulch will help with this as well as proper watering if it is needed. They do not like root competition, so if they are planted too close to your roses, they will be unhappy. I plant my clematis at least a couple of feet from any other plants. Since my area tends to get fairly consistent summer rains, I rarely have to water, but I've heard that your area often doesn't get regular summer moisture, so you will want to water before they dry out (test by sticking your finger into the soil a couple of inches.) I also do a lot of soil improvement before I plant garden beds, so they are fertile with high organic matter. I improve the whole bed, not just the planting holes, but in an established bed with poor soil this will be more difficult other than adding amendments to the top and letting them work in over time.

Finally, I noticed from your other post that you first started considering clematis in 2010. Clematis do require a bit of patience unless you bought large plants to begin with, gallon or larger plants that are more than 2 years old. When I buy large plants they bloom some the first year while they settle in, and then really take off. I find that the two-year-old plants from Brushwood Nursery bloom a small amount the first year and then get larger and bloom more each year after. If you buy anything smaller, they will take at longer to bloom. So unless you bought large plants, they have been working on growing good roots to support themselves over the last couple of years and only this year will the plants really amount to much. Every year they will get better.

Your area has some great retail places to get clematis in larger sizes and now would be a great time to visit to see some of them in bloom.

As others have said above, the group 3 types are in general easiest to grow, not troubled by much of anything (other than voles eating their roots in my garden.)

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ - My new Clematis is not growing, what could be wrong?

• Zyperiris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gardengal...what's the name of the place that is the wholesale grower?

I did some research and I have all type 2 clematis

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor