Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybutt

Clematis Pruning Groups...

fluffybutt
10 years ago

Which pruning group do you prefer to get for which locations? Do you prefer 3 to 2 or does it matter to you? I know that group one would have certain applications as you don't have to prune those.

I bought four more on clearance at Lowes and most are a 3 but one is a 2. Trying to figure out what to put where.

Comments (4)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I try to group them by pruning type to make pruning easier.

I try to put ones that are type 1 & 2 where I don't have to look at them in the winter since the dead vines aren't too decorative. The areas I see in winter get type 3's since I can prune them back in early winter and just have the trellis or bare-branched shrub that it is growing on to look at.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that's a good point. I've got a Bees Jubilee (group 2) and Moonfleet (group 3). I think I'll put the Bees Jubilee with my Henryii, and the moonfleet on the trellis next to the patio.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

You might want to add zone and general location data in your profile so that it will show up when you post so that you get info best targeted for your area. For instance, the thing about clematis appearance in winter probably wouldn't be nearly as significant in California as it is around me since our growing season at best 7 months.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thanks, I'll do that.