Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which would you pick?

Posted by betty1822 z6Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 17:24

What would you pick for a purple clematis - Jackmanii or Polish Spirit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which would you pick?

I can't really say since I don't grow Jackmanii and my Polish Spirit is new, but I will say that I bought it because someone here said it bloomed its head off for her. I'm hoping for good things.

o

I would choose Polish Spirit because Jackmanni is the more common one around here. I like having something different. That said, my second clematis was Jackmanni because that was all I could find. Happily nowadays the nurseries in the area and the big box stores carry many varieties. Polish Spirit just opened today and it is lovely, such a deep purple and nice sized. I now have about 90 different clematis plants growing in my gardens or waiting in my holding bed for a trellis and a permanent location.

o

My Polish Spirit is about 5 years old, is fabulous, a blooming machine, love it. Have 100 + clems and have never bought Jackmanii for the same reason mngal stated....it's the common one everybody has. Just planted two yesterday with 10 more waiting on the deck. MN gal....think we are on the same wave-length!!!
Guess that's why I have over 200 varieties of hosta but not "the green & white one." Marlene

o

Have about 30 or so clems of various kinds in my St. Paul MN garden, including Polish Spirit and Jackmanii. I love them both, but were I to be limited to a single clematis if would doubtless be the venerable--and perhaps overused--Jackman (not Jackman superba, which in its transformation seems to have lost the amazing glistening purple of the original).

Just my $.02, of course.

Gary

This post was edited by garystpaul on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 18:02

o

I had my Jackmani for 33 years now and, (since I learned the proper pruning recently) is just one massive mass of purple. I added a Polish Spirit last year, and it has grown amazingly well and large but has not bloomed as yet so I will keep you posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here