Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clemmielover

Rose and clemmie conundrum

clemmielover
10 years ago

I need advice for my big weekend digging ahead and my apologies for what is sure to be a lengthy post..

I bought a few clemmies on sale to fill in some gaps and as companion plants for two climbing roses, one white Sombreuil and a pink/peach Colette.

The clemmies are as follows:
2x Arabella,
Ashva,
Moonfleet,
Vinosa Violacea,
Perle D'Azur,
Tangutica,
All of who are are type 3's except the Moonfleet(2)
The building is white siding and has a large maroon deck with a partition on the southwest end which is flanked by beds.

I been struggling with this corner for a few years, not many hues look good against it and almost nothing work which don't have plenty of green to it.
Currently we have a 7'-8' tall green conifer on the corner of the beds and a phew white Casa Blanca Lillies and white Phlox David scattered troughout.
The colors that seem to making the maroon less offending and still show against the dark background is white, pale blues and pale pinks.. same colors that don't look so great extended to the house however, too pale.
I'm curious about what orange or peach would do with the maroon but haven't dared go there, -yellow looks positively garish.

When I completed the order I decided the Sombreuil should go on the southern side of the partition and the reliable V.Violacea would flank it's western side. I'm hoping they'll meet somewhere and scramble over the other deck side of the partition.

The Collete is for the northwestern corner of the building and I am at a loss as to which vine to combine it with.

(The original plan was for the Aloha to be planted in front of a trellis with the Ashva peeking out behind it and Moonfleet to flank it just around corner on the east side.)

Now I have no idea what to do with the dusty plum and white Moonfleet either, I am certain Colette will bloom peach and if so, -the best fit would be the soft blue Perle d' Azur. ??

I already moved a un-named red rose variety to a southern part of the fencing, it blooms double scentless and is a little bit boring and I had planned on adding Perle d' Azur to mix up but now just heard about it's propensity to nodding flowers,

Making me think I should have the Perle d' Azur on the 8 ft. partition instead of the V. Violacea. - or both ?

If I'm moving the Pd'A to the maroon wall, I all of a sudden have a displaced V. Violacea to figure out a new companion for.

I'm also now stumped as to what to do with Ashva, she's too dark to be placed by the maroon decking and she'll clash next to the substituted pale Colette. - I think?
How does Ashva look and perform in full sun?
The rose on the chain link is a dark crimson red and I'm debating if Ashva could take Perle D'Azurs place. Not much contrast between vine and rose but perhaps too much tone in tone?
I'd like to know if she goes towards beet red or blue red? Anybody growing it with a crimson red rose?
Isn't Ashva too dark to show against "open air" in a distance?
Any takes on this?

Furthermore, how does Arabella perform in dry shade?
We have a front bed that is under a overhang of the building, it faces east and gets morning sun until the sun climbs over the roof. It's been a headache to fill this bed.
If it makes any sense, -it's like a reversed bay window bed, the bay is convex, dipping in to the house itself leaving the sun to have to reach in as opposed to travel over the bed...
Most plants who don't get stunted reach and reach until they sprawl over the patio to get to open skies. I tried Hostas and Ferns to no avail. Neither do Heucheria fare well. All of them shrinking in size with each passing season until I salvaged them this spring. I guess this bed would make sense if it only had southern exposure.
My idea is to plant the herbacious Arabella on the outer part of the bed were it'll get a bit of western exposure in the eve as well and allow it to scramble under the dark over hang.. At least the plant will be fed reliably from the downspout.

Tangutica is intended for the chainlink the furthest away from the house, western exposure and approx 100 ft long and I plan on adding some company to it but first I need the dust to settle around what is to be a epic weekend ahead.
( I'm not sure that is a good thing)
Phew! Crazy!
I didn't even mention the Helsinborg Alpina transplant or the Snow Queen & Fireworks clematis trough the conifer project's...

Any feedback no matter how small is greatly appreciated on this almost complete reshuffle of my planting plans.
Thank you so much for taking your time!

Wish me luck folks, I'm already suffering from sensory overload.
However, "My favorite kind of headache" my mum says..

Comment (1)