Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be excited? Is this a sport?

Posted by auntlavender Chicago/Zone5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 17:39

This is a Warsaw Nike, about 5 years old. I heavy prune at the end of each winter and again after flowering.

This link will take you to an album with several views of the bloom.
I just spotted this anomaly---it's fairly low on the vine.

Warsaw Nike Anomaly

it has four petals, one deep purple, two half purple fading to white, and one completely white.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I hope there are more!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be excited? Is this a sport?

It is a variation, though they show up like this in viticellas especially. I've had difficulty rooting such sports, since they are from that flower only. Just enjoy it!

o

Hey thanks Michael. I will enjoy it while it lasts--maybe I'll try and collect the seeds from this flower.

Can you talk a little more about your experiece with variations? I'm just interested in hearing about what you've seen and done.

o

What I've done is nothing (successful) in terms of rooting. Royal Velours and Jackmanii give a lot of variation depending on the weather; Niobe has thrown an occasional sport as well.

They're fun to see, basically!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here