Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
@#*&##! Viticellas aren't supposed to wilt!

Posted by cohouser 5-6?CO (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 17:50

The growing tips of my Entel, with buds on them, are limp today -- and my moisture detector shows the ground is nice and moist but not overly wet. What the heck could be going on?? Maybe that thing of it outgrowing its roots? This is its first year in the ground (was planted last fall) and it's about 4' tall...I think I'm about to answer my own question...I should mercilessly cut it back, shouldn't I? Argh. I think I'm not going to hack it down until someone tells me to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: @#*&##! Viticellas aren't supposed to wilt!

Check to see if you have any broken vines..Viticellas' CAN wilt but rarely do and when they do they come right back..vigorously...Jeanne

o

Did you have dry air and high winds recently?

That happened to a few of my viticellas too. I gave them a little extra water and they recovered.

I also had a problem with evening temps being too low. A few vines were limp the next morning and didn't recover.

o

Did you get the hail yesterday? Any winds from the storm? How about the tornado?

o

No tornado, but yes winds and hail, thankfully not lasting very long. And a chilly night or two -- I think this one's going to be another.

So I went out just now to give Entel a little drink, and she'd firmed right back up! They look so hopeless when they faint like that, but obviously I've gotta learn not to panic.

o

Good for you!!..Glad it was just a bit weepy and is ok...Jeanne

o

I do not put much stock in moisture meters. Most times that a plant wilts, it needs water!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here