Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzmolly65

Clematis armandii is sick, help please!

MzMolly65
9 years ago

I've never had a clematis before so I'm not even sure if I have the name right and I'm basing this off photos on the internet.

It's planted on the north side of a trellis and gets sun on the leaves but not on the roots.

The first photo is what I believe to be healthy, new growth but it's so red compared to the adult leaves I'm unsure if this is normal or not.

The second photo is obviously a sick plant. Can anyone tell me what to do to save this? Is it sun burn or something else?

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Where are you located? Clematis armandii is typically recommended as a shade loving clematis, as it thrives and blooms beautifully in a fair amount of shade......more than most other varieties. And while it can also be grown in sun, how much sun would depend on specific location. Full sun in my very northerly, mild summer area is fine - full sun in the southeast not so fine. In it's native habitat, it is a forest understory plant, receiving minimal direct sunlight.

New growth is often tinged with red and the sun exposure may be intensifying that. Is the second photo of a second plant? If so, that one is in deep trouble and will probably not survive. This is not the easiest of clems to get established so selecting the best possible location and preparing the best possible planting hole and treating with kid gloves for a season or two is highly recommended.

• MzMolly65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm in the Pacific NW, within 5 miles of the ocean so our weather is mild in winter but can be hot in summer. Right now temps are averaging in the low to mid 60's

I planted this on the north side of a trellis but it does get sun all day, while the roots are completely shaded all the time.

Those two pictures are leaves on the same plant. I wish the green houses that sell these things would give better information. I'm a garden 'idiot' at best right now because we just moved here after a life time in the far north and I don't know any of the regional plants. I could move it to a shady location but if it's already dying I think I'd rather try and return it to the seller and see if I can at least get my money back or a replacement plant of some kind.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

If you bought via mailorder, please contact the seller prior to digging. Same goes if purchased locally.

Likely you'll need proof of purchase.

Realize that clematis are popular plants in Oregon. Many are available at nearby garden centers.

• MzMolly65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your advice.

In the end they were awesome and replaced it with no hassle, even though I couldn't find my receipt. I had a back up, which was the pot I bought it in that had their UPC sticker and name on it but I had given that to friend, filled with a plant I didn't want. I thought if they needed it as proof I could go get it from my friend but they didn't want it.

They were just terrific about the exchange and she talked me into a honeysuckle that would do better in that particular spot.

My appreciation to Van Wingerden Greenhouses in Blaine, Washington for great customer service.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022