Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterclem

Anyone growing Palette?

butterclem
14 years ago

I'm really unhappy with Palette. The blooms are very nice if you lie on the ground and look up into them or take them individually in your hand and turn them toward you. Not my idea of fun. I confess I had seen few pictures of Palette when I bought it, but what I had seen displayed the blooms face on so you could see them. Here's what mine look like:

{{gwi:603453}}

Not interesting. Is it possible this is a juvenile thing and they'll behave differently next year and look like the Palette image on COTW? If not, if this is it, I fear someone will get this clematis as a little gift and I'll be looking for a substitute to climb my hammock post.

Comments (5)

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I hear you! I'm less the impressed with Walenburg because of that. The back side of sepals are dull, no color. I think the only way to be happy is to get them up high. I was planning to with this one & with the move won't be putting up the arch over my gate.

I have a few other viticellas in bloom that are white & doesn't matter, 1 in fact holds it's blooms more upright. I think Betty Corning has us spoiled with the color of her backside. Anxiously awaiting for my others to ome to bloom to see what I think of them. I was planning on bringing all of those ot FL with me. I won't if they look like this.

• butterclem
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're so right about Betty Corning. She looks lovely. I have Confetti in a pot to be planted this fall. Aren't you growing that one? It looks as though its bells will look pink throughout. True?

I'll be doing some transplanting next spring, too, it appears. I can't imagine doing as much as you'll be doing with a move, though.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I sure do have Confetti & it is coming with me for sure! I am so grateful the recommendations I received on her that lead me to get her. I bought her & @ a week or so later found out I was moving & like her so much I couldn't return it. She has been blooming nonstop since purchase. Here she is today:
    {{gwi:603454}}

Walenburg with the dull back side. Although I'm liking him better has he opens flatter:
    {{gwi:603455}}

With a face like this, how can you leave him? Proper placement to appreciate is the key I suppose.
    {{gwi:603456}}

• butterclem
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Confetti is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your picture. And I think Walenburg has much more to recommend him than Palette. His reverse side seems more colorful to me.

Somehow I got your Photobucket by clicking on my email rather than going to the website. So of course I stopped to admire, and I see you're growing the Walking in Beauty daylily, which I covet. I was a little surprised since its evergreen. You're in a colder zone than I. Are you growing the evergreen cultivars without problems? (I know I should move to the daylily site.)

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Oh, we have talked daylilys here on this forum before with no big ramifications. Since this thread is between you & I, I'm sure no one will care. Yes, I do grow a lot of evergreens here. Foliage of a daylily is the furthest thing you need to worry about. They will play dormant here. What you need to pay attention to is each cultivar's genetics. There is a daylily that is from Florida that is a dormant & isn't hardy here & vice versa. In the south, some of the hardy daylilys will disappear without the dormant cold period. Each daylily is different with different genes & the safest way to go about purchasing them is to go about other people's experience.