Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Comtesse de Bouchaud blooming

Julia WV (6b)
12 years ago

I've had this one for many years and just never took care of it. Shame on me. Even though it has yellow leaves issues she is still a beauty to me. I've started to try lowering the pH to see if this will help. Time will tell. She already reached the top of this 6ft trellis. I changed out the metal one I had for years which made the clematis into a big ball of yuck and put in a wood one. Last fall I cut it down to 18 inches from the ground. This year I'll cut it back to about 6-8 inches from the ground.

{{gwi:604099}}

{{gwi:604101}}

Julia

Comments (21)

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

Thanks for the photo love all the beautiful blooms. It's one of my favorite clematis.

• alina_1
    12 years ago

Wonderful! And a nice trellis too! Congratulations!

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

So pretty with the white trellis!

• star723
    12 years ago

is this a common clematis? I have one that looks like this bloom for about 6 years, it has been faithful in blooming. I have never known the name of it. I cut it back to about 18 inches or so in the spring and the last few years it has just went crazy with blooms. I just love the looks of the white trellis~ thanks for sharing.

• Marlene Schmidt
    12 years ago

star 723: yes, this is easily found in garden centers, so it may well be your mystery clematis. It has been a good bloomer here also.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bought this one many years ago at a local nursery when we first moved into this house. I never kept the tag and through the help of forum members here last year, I was able to identify it. It has always done great but last year and this year it has been experiencing yellowing of the leaves. I'm trying to see if I lower the pH if it will improve. I'll try anything to get this one back on track.

The trellis is actually painted cape cod gray. A very light gray which appears to alot of folks to look white in photos.

Julia

• growingirl
    12 years ago

Love it! It's picture perfect!

• ditas
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful Julia!

• ditas
    12 years ago

Julia ~ I sadly sniffed a bit last night, as I viewed how beautiful Comtesse de Bouchaud is & miss her. I planted in 1988 & lost her after I had to return to work ~ all but Blue Bell survived along w/ all my Hybrid Rose collection! Returned to serious dirt-digging once more since 2001 never thought to pick up C de B again ~ I might find her now that many are at reduced prices!

Thanks for posting ~ brought back fond memories!

• Marlene Schmidt
    12 years ago

ditas...all 5 of my HyVee stores had it, hope you can find one yet. I DO enjoy the role of enabler!
    Marlene

• ditas
    12 years ago

Not to worry Marlene ~ I belong to the same club ~ the trouble is ~ am an easy recruit & a self-enabler!!! LOL I still have Piilu & Asao in my wish list!

I have a collection of Hydrangeas & have run out of *prime real est* so here I am building once again on Clems & Roses (OSO Easy ones only). Clearing crowded duplicate perennial sites to open rooms. Birds, Bees, Butterflies & all in between won't get cheated out ~ I treat them well in this piece of soil!

• tcskitten
    12 years ago

I just picked up Comtessa at a local "Bloom" garden center. My plans are to pair her with Jackmanii.
    I am just starting my collection of clematis, so far I have Piilu, Jackmanii, Comtessa, Nirobe (not sure if I care for her yet)...so I am seeking a new RED clematis to grow with my climbing rose "Iceberg" and the last clematis label seems to be missing from my journal

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tckitten: Are you saying your going to plant Comtessa and Jackmanii in the same spot together? Those are two big clematis so over time wouldn't they do poorly given the amount of root space they need?
    I don't know the answer, just asking.

Julia

• ditas
    12 years ago

Just to let you know Marlene ~ I came home w/ Comtesse from Hy Vee now my ? ~ here are there 3 ladies (Hagley's H, Elsa S & CdeB) which 2 would pair up best. I'm still wishing for Piilu & Asao ~ then have to rest awhile ... am still digging for 4 OSO Easy yummies!

I was told by HVee nursery head honcho not to overwinter Clemmies in containers have you done it in your zone w/ success? mnwsgal MN zone4 does & they do fine!

• Marlene Schmidt
    12 years ago

ditas, Glad you found a CdB, it is a strong bloomer. I do not grow HH but on poster's pics the color looks to be too close to CdB to put them together. My local HV had a couple Asao left last Saturday...wish you were here!
    I have not grown clems in containers. However, I have sunk nursery pots of clems in ground fairly close to the foundation, put a wire circle full of chopped leaves (about 12-15") over them after the ground was frozen and they wintered just fine. Then I pulled them up in the spring and planted them in permanent homes.

• ditas
    12 years ago

Gee Marlene ~ thanks for your reassurance that Clems can be overwintered in the same manner I overwinter my *Diva* Hydrangeas. (J Kluver HV garden mgr used to be w/ EarlMay G Ctr was who warned me) I have a site nearly ready for 2 Clems I wish to inter-twine. Elsa S Clem flashed open 2 buds she produced since potting in a 3gal container ~ deep purple ~ if she stays this deep color may do well w/ MdeB ~ fingers crossed she doesn't fade!

I didn't chk out HV's lgr pots ~ aft 4 OSO Easy rose babes & these 3 clems + ancillary needs for them, I should be patient about Asao & Piilu ~ or it'll be *Foliage & Blooms on dirt for dinner dear*! LOL Don't try to get me to take a trip up NE ~ have to dig holes seriously!!!

Thanks again Marlene!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Good Morn & hoping all Mom's had a great yesterday & week-ends!

Just updating on the Clem finds I over-wintered, well protected outdoors in a cage-pen! All 3 survived & were all greening by the time they were released from their winter-cage ~ it helped that we had a mild winter!!!

Due to a trip for a Cardiac Stent right before X'mas & the Card. rehab that ensued - ran out of time & had to postpone setting them in the ground. Spring arrived 2 mos early by the time I thought to set them in site, they've all crawled up the fence/trellis & budded ~ didn't have the heart to interrupt their fun, so I left them alone since they were all in lg/deep nursery pots & doing well!

In the meantime I took home a small pot of Clem on special from a seed'n'feed shop w/ a tag that says *unknown color* as I was repotting stuck deep was a broken orig tag ~ thrilled for the surprise t'was *Asao* yay!!!

FWIW!!!

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

:) Asao fades badly in full sun.

Scary stuff: My husband's cousin had a heart attack last week and had a stent put in and now is supposed to start rehab. A guy I went to high school with had one two days after our 30th reunion last fall and ended up with three stents. I've been having anxiety about it in the middle of the night ever since....Glad you are OK and your Clemmies are blooming.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Thanks Bos888 ~ don't lose too much sleep over stents they're almost a piece of cake now a days only stayed overnite for the procedure! I've had an MI when I was 41~ too early for all the new remedies of today ~ 33 yrs after isn't too bad!!! Just go for check-ups & eat healthy!!!

Just came up from my out-back ~ C de B is ready to unfurl her first buds, Elsa S already did & so did H's H am so tickled all 3 new Clemmies doing great! Thanks for info on Asao ~ still working on growing, no buds yet ~ should perhaps find a part/shade site!

• Marlene Schmidt
    11 years ago

ditas, Glad your CdeB is doing well. HV's here in CF have their clems in, got Alioushka, have (or don't want) all the rest. Did find Reiman & Blue Light (my 2nd one, love it so much, couldn't resist, don't usually duplicate) at Lowes. Nothing different at HD or Menards. No new ones at 3 nurseries. Looking for integrifolias or shorter clems as I am out of space for talls. After 89 varieties, I may need to mail order for the first time. Need to visit DD in Kansas City area, usually find some there. If I can enable again this year, I would be happy to do so!
    Marlene

• ditas
    11 years ago

OMG Marlene ~ what a collection ~ would love to see pix of your Clemmie-plantation!!! &&& you even travel about in search for more huh?!!!

I collect Hydrangeas ~ have 39 of them (10 are Divas that need serious over-wintering). They take up quite a bit of real-est so I'm exploring back & adding to my few Clems & my easy-care Roses! Am getting lazy in old-age & hate giving up on other magnets that bring in butterflies & Hummers!

My dau just sent 3 beautiful lacecap hyd'ras from HV's nursery ~ asked to hold 2 back 'til I find ideal room (48" a piece & sun exposure ~ ugh!!!)

BTW don't you ever get Clem problems ~ how do you deal w/ them? Have fun Clem hunting & looking forward to pix!!!