Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris2001

Pls recommend hardy long blooming big bloom WHITE clem

kris2001
13 years ago

Hi

I am in s.e. PA in zone6.

Pls recommend hardy long blooming beautiful big blooming WHITE clematis.

This is for east facing area....AM sun till 1pm...then bright but shaded area!

Where can I get it ?

Kris

Comments (11)

• justretired
    13 years ago

Alabast. It is just beautiful. Large, creamy white flowers. I purchased mine at Donahue's. You can order online.

JR

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

My favorite is Arctic Queen--beautiful white double clem. Visitors always stop to admire it and exclaim over its doubleness.

Kate

• maggiepie_gw
    13 years ago

Huldine would be my choice, the flowers aren't huge but they're beautiful and mine flowers until hard frost.
    It does however have red veins on the back of the flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huldine

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

John Huxtable does well for a lot of people.

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Hudline IS my most vigorous white of them all..

• pump_toad
    13 years ago

Huldine

• kris2001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks !

Of these: John Huxtable , Arctic Queen,Alabast and huldine
    which white has the longest bloom time?

Hope all of these can vine by themselves(not a spreader)!

• kris2001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quote:"Hudline IS my most vigorous white of them all..
    "

Does it mean vigorous grower or bloomer.?
    I am gonna buy huldine , where can I get the best /cheap plant?

• fernzilla
    13 years ago

Arctic Queen is the most gorgeous Double White. I planted once the first week of may next to an Arbor. This bay has
    taken off and climbed halfway up the Arbor and is in full bloom. She has tons of buds forming everywhere. OMG I will be
    getting many more of these. The flowers are huge, and it is producing buds on both sides of every junction, where the leaves come out.
    It is reputed to be the most florific of the Double Whites, and is not suseptible to the dreaded Clematis Wilt so it says.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

One of my favorite whites is 'Marie Boisselot' aka 'Madam le Coultre' this one has large flowers and a repeat bloomer. I've been looking for another one to replace the one I lost about 6 years ago but haven't found it so far.

Annette

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

i think Marie B is one of my favorite clems, certainly one of the oldest.

For the last 3 years she has given me at least one semi-double flower as well as a multitude of big single flowers.
    This is the only picture I have of her on photobucket, from 2007.

{{gwi:598947}}

But this Spring there were no signs of life when the others were leafing out. So I trimmed off a little of the vines. The next day a little bit more, and so on until I had a foot high thumb thick piece of brown sticking up from the ground. I thought she might have bloomed herself to death last year.

I pulled out the ivy that had spread toward her stem & kept watering when it was dry, and sprinkled some alfalfa pellets on the ground near the stem. Was hope some new shoots might come up near the seemingly dead one, but it was not to be.

Then one day about 2 weeks ago I spotted what looked to be a green dot about half way up the brown stem. And little by little it has grown to about 1.5 inches & looks like it is trying to put out leaves.

I know I won't have much of a show this year, if any, but I am so happy she is still alive.

Before I saw the spot on the stem I was looking at clems at one of my fav nurseries & noticed a small but healthly looking Alabast. I thought I would plant it about 3 feet away from Marie's spot, on the otherside of the brass bedpost. It is doing well but not flowering yet.

And then I learned that Alabast is a cross between Marie & Henrii. Probably will have somewhat smaller flowers than the 8 inch wide Maries.

So maybe you could find an Alabast until you can get another Marie.

Marie in ME