Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Autumn Clematis ?

Posted by RickFlo Ind (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 19:34

My SAC is know going strong into its 2nd year on my arbor. I've been pruning all new growth to focus all the energy to 1 main vine to get it to grow up the 9 foot post to the top of the arbor.. Now that its reached the top of the arbor I'm going to let it do its thing .. So my question is know that it's reached the top where I would like to see it become a SAC . Will it grow new vines from the main at the top of the arbor ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Autumn Clematis ?

No - new vines (stems) come from the base. It would have been more advisable to leave any growth that developed from that point rather than focusing on a single stem. This winter, I would advise pruning it hard - down to about 12-18" from the ground.

SAC is a VERY vigorous vine and can consume small structures without issue. I would have NO worries about it easily growing to cover your arbor.....and then some!! It just takes several seasons before that happens.

o

My SAC climbs from 6" to at least 15' up my deck, engulfing everything in its path, every year. I'm not sure why you want to restrict it to one vine unless you only want it blooming on the top of your arbor and not the sides, so I may not be of help here. If you just let it do its thing I think you'd get a lot more blooms for a lot less work, but if you want an opinion, I think if you pinched out the growing tip now, it would encourage more vines to start from the top and you could keep doing that for a while this summer to get bushier growth on the top. It is the kind of clematis that is usually cut down to 6" or so in the spring. For what it's worth, I think one year I didn't prune mine down, curious to see if it would add an additional 15' of growth to the existing 15', and I think it didn't - it just started from the ground anyway. I guess it depends on what you want it to do.

o

In my area, SAC easily reaches 25-30 feet - the late season equivalent to a montana :-) Mine grew up a 6' iron screen (salvaged from an old theater), 15' along a wooden fence and then up into a very large, old apple tree. A HUGE vine. It also developed a rather significant trunk diameter so there was a limit as to how hard I could prune it. Eventually, the best I could do was to the top of the iron screen. It still grew to the same dimensions each season.

o

I really like mine. It's nowhere near 30' tall, but still impressive every year.

o

My monster SAC in it's 3rd year now. Yikes!

o

Very nice kentstar! Thanks for the replies ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here