Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growingirl

Care to make a suggestion for these clematis? (pic incl.)

growingirl
12 years ago

Hello.

I'd like to add clematis to two areas of our yard this year, and would like the experts advice on what would look good & coordinate with what I have.

The deck skirting area...Going to plant one variety of clematis in the middle (hubby to make a tall trellis) so it can be up to 10 ft, 12 ft. Those are yellow knockout roses at the bottom. (I was considering a medium to light blue or lavender?)

Second, around the front light post, (I was considering something white?).

Thank You in advance!

[IMG]http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z449/hostaleslie/DSCN1060.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z449/hostaleslie/DSCN1060.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (13)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Below is a link to your photo.

To directly embed your photos in the message you need to copy the HTML tag, not the IMG tag.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:604627}}

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

{{gwi:604627}}

I'd put more than one along that skirting. You can use metal wire livestock fencing/cattle panels to provide support.

Almost every color goes well with pale yellow.

A range of purples and lavenders would look spectacular.

Type IIIs would be easiest since you can whack them down at the same time as the roses.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I think the light blue or lavender would be fine there, though the more blue and less pink would look better with the deck skirting IMO. I agree that with white rails and house siding the white wouldn't stand out as much. A deeper purple would look nice also. Check out Betty Corning which for me is a nice blue-lavender and has scent to go along with.
    Both of your photos seem to have the same web address. Did you intend to include a photo of the light pole? It will probably need wires, a spiral, or netting to grow up the light pole as it is the leaf stems that wrap, so it can't be something thick. That is true of your trellis as well - a wooden lattice trellis won't work well without wire over it.

Final consideration is to find a clematis that isn't huge for the light pole since it's easier to choose the right one rather than keep a rambunctious one like huldine or sweet autumn to a small or medium size.

• growingirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you buyorsell and nhbabs for your help.

This skirting was put in last year, along with the roses. It's a real eye sore to me, plus such a long expanse to it. (the positive side of it is that it hides our stuff underneath and the birds aren't nesting under the eaves and attacking me left and right now, (lol).

That color goes with our style of house...and was original color for our trim, etc, so I just went with it.

For a lavender blue clematis, which do you reccomend and how many? (and how do you go about planting multiple clematis's)

Also Thank You for fixing my picture.

Any advice greatly appreciated. : )

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I love the color of Betty Corning with those roses but think she grows too wild (out in all directions) to be easy to train behind those roses....

Prince Charles is the same color but not as rampant of a grower.

To plant multiple Clematis, dig multiple holes....

• growingirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the Type 3 idea, would love to hear of some clematis that grow well in my zone 5a/b. (I saw a picture of one clematis here on the forum called Vienetta, don't know if it's a 3 or not). I used to have Etiolle Violette, but I think that is too dark of a purple.
    And for multuple clems, how far apart should I space them?
    Thanks much : )

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Viennetta is one of the florida cultivars and won't be hardy in your zone. Even in zones where they are hardy they aren't easy to grow. I have killed three florida sieboldiis myself.

How far apart you should space them depends on their ultimate size. Many of the viticella cultivars get rather large and can be spaced farther apart than the large flowered hybrids which grow slower and smaller. I have six in two groups of three spaced only two feet apart and they become a tangled mess though a pretty tangled mess.

Any of the viticellas should grow fine in your zone. Nice article linked below. Not sure it will show the article or home page but there is a menu. Another good article is Clematis for Beginners.

Here is a link that might be useful: viticella group article

• growingirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank You buyorsell, that link is just what I needed to sort through info on soooo many varieties.

I love the look of Prince Charles (color & form), I'm just personally not very fond of him, I'm so weird, lol.

• karinl
    12 years ago

The plants will grow toward the sun (sidewards, upwards) so if you plant them in two or three spots with that in mind, they will naturally grow into the area you want to cover, although you'll probably still have to do some tucking and guiding. I don't know how high your railing goes, but that could be high enough without a trellis.

Height of these plants doesn't have to go up; they just grow back through themselves or sideways if there is nothing to climb on. You can cut them back every year so they don't become too heavy a mass.

KarinL

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Emilia Plater is blooming now and has the same color as Betty Corning in my garden. The flowers are bigger and more open, but almost identical in color to BC. I really can't compare growth habits since both are just 3 years old (2 years in my garden) although Emilia P is growing up more than out whereas Betty C is sort of growing in all directions. That may be due to differing supports.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Betty Corning grows out in all directions, that is how she rolls.....

Growingirl, personally, I can't stand Prince Charles, allowing his mother to insist he marry a virgin while he had been in love with Camilla for years caused such harm to Diana and others and now he gets to live happily ever after while she is dead???? However, I'm sure he personally had nothing to do with this Clematis and it is a really good one in color and form so I deal with it.

• growingirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone again for being so generous with your knowledge and ideas!
    Right now I'm trying to give hubby some idea of what I'm doing there so that he can make the panels, etc.
    Really leaning towards Prince Charles to start off with, and then adding on a little at a time and as they grow and bloom I'll have a better idea.
    buyorsell ~ I have the same feeling about those two. Diana didn't have a clue about what she was getting herself into...so tragic.