Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pump_toad

What do you like with Hagley's Hybrid ?

pump_toad
12 years ago

I don't think I will like a pink clematis but this was a impluse purchase. Possibly some of you will understand how this happens,anyway, it is still in a pot just waiting. It does have 2 nice blooms so maybe I will be like it better than I thought. Would like to pair it with another clematis so would welcome your ideas.

Pump_Toad-

By the way, my toad family is back in my garden and they have a little one. I really enjoy them.

Comments (18)

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

Hagley Hybrid needs to be in part shade or it fades badly. I planted mine with Niobe, which can be grown in part shade according to CoTW. This year, HH will bloom before Niobe. Niobe is a group 2 that can be treated like a group 3. Last year they both bloomed at the same time. The colors looked great together. I'm not sure how will Niobe will do in a shadier location. (Hagley Hybrid was purchased last year, Niobe was a transplant) I'll know more in a couple of weeks, but won't know for sure until next year.

Most of the clematis that do well in shade are white or pink. Hagley Hybrid doesn't need to be paired with anything, IMO. It's a good grower and will be beautiful on its own. Do you have a spot that gets morning sun, but shaded during the harsh afternoon sun? Maybe a spot that has a lot of greenery, but not a lot of color?

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I like that it takes partial shade because I don't have that much full sun.

The color is more mauve than true pink and that is fine with me.

Pairing it with Niobe would be gorgeous. I have it with Richard Pennell because that one fades badly too.

• ditas
    12 years ago

Like p-t ~ i came home after church w/ *Pink Chiffon* a Hagley Hybrid ~ an impulse pick while awaiting for *Piilu* ~ would it be ok to keep her in a large pot for now as I find a good site for her.

What would be a minimum sun exposure she'll require?

TIA!

• eden_in_me
    12 years ago

Mine is planted on the Northeast Corner of my house, but also turns the corner to grow into Jackmanii, Keremesina, a pink unknow centifolia & Seven Sisters roses, and red/orange honeysuckle. I've never had any problems with fading on either end.

I was able to pick up a reduced one at Lowes last Fall. and put it into a structure I made from a white metal daybed. It is nearest to EV and Ascotiensis on one side and one of the texinsis hybrids & a Pitcherii on the other. There are some others along here, and I try to train the stems for maximum coverage, but until they bloom I won't know that will flower next to what.

• pump_toad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did find a shady spot for my Hagley Hybrid and all I have to do is move a Hosta. From what I read it will be fine alone but I still think I would like to have another with it. I have had Niobe but it did not do well for me so I dug it up. Any opinions on Madame Julia C. Reason I am asking is that one place has about 10 of these now so am sure they will be really be marked way down in a few weeks.

• garystpaul
    12 years ago

p.t., I have Mme. Julia Correvon in my garden and love it. Here's a nice article on the cultivar:

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/iclsframe.cfm?page=page69

Gary

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

HH and Mme. Julia will look nice together. The colors should be good and the flowers are different shape and size.

In my garden HH isn't very vigorous but Clematis on the Web says they both reach the same size. HH could be stunted where I have it due to neighbor's tree roots....

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I had Hagley and Mme. Julia together and loved the contrasting look. Hagley was not as vigorous as Mme. Julia.

• ditas
    12 years ago

The tag on this impulse/whim, little 4" pot I came home w/ said *Pink Chiffon* Hagley's Hybrid ~ this is what this thread is about, right? I'm just now getting myself educated w/ Clems.

I started reading the *Clematis - Favorites - Forum* ~ I must admit a few things are a bit confusing! Since resuming *dirt digging* once more ~ I've gotten Clems (this past 10 years) & am swinging w/ the ups & downs mostly as a result of Ma Nature's whims.

So glad for this GW!!!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Yes, Hagley is also known as Pink Chiffon.

If you have questions about the confusing bits, ask away. There are many good posters happy to answer questions.

It's best to start a new thread for each question unless they are related to each other.

• Ruth_MI
    12 years ago

I have a Hagley with a Mme. Julia Correvon and I don't personally care for it - to the point of trying to figure out how I'm going to fix it. If I look at the flowers right next to each other, they seems like they'd be OK together, but from any distance, they just don't look "right" to me.

I also have a Hagley with a Jackmanii Superba, and I like those together a lot. In my garden, Hagley starts just a little before JS, but they're blooming together now, and I like both the flower shapes/sizes and colors together.

• sharont37_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

What else, besides Hagley Hybrid, would you pair with Jackmani Superba?

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I must correct myself, it was Comtesse de Buchard and Mm Julia, not Hagley.

• ditas
    12 years ago

I posted this ? in another thread & have not gotten any response yet. As I'm adding a few more (temp planted in containers), having opened a good corner former home of a Viburnum bush & since this thread is covering *pairing* or *planting with* my ?? are ...

By *pairing & planting w/* ~ 1. how far apart should the pairs be? 2. Would *piggy backing* in a huge planting hole work? 3. has anyone tried (?#2) would you share how it turned out?

Many TIA

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

I planted 2 clematis, side by side, in the same hole. Because they are so close, and were already entwined by the time I had a chance to get to them, it's all a tangled mess with a lot of the blooms in the center of the mess. Part of the problem is that I used a tomato cage as a support. There simply isn't enough room for all the vines. Next year I'll have a better support for them, and maybe I'll get to them soon enough to spread out the vines.

• ditas
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience Janetp ~ you're not alone using tomato wire cage I did too & only last year did I create my on home-put-together climbers for the few I have. I'm now learning a great deal through this GW.

I'm right now dealing w/ the stump of the Viburnum & won't be able to plant in that p/s site 'til Spring 2012 ~ fingers crossed. I'm trying to get as much info & knowledge re: Clems as I can. It surprises me how the 7 that I have, survived these past 5-10 years w/ my lack of knowledge!

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

It's been my experience that clematis are rugged, hardy plants. Sure, the vines are easily damaged, but generally speaking, it is a fairly easy plant to have in the garden. All the fussing comes with wanting to have as many blooms as possible. :)

• katie
    12 years ago

I saw a trio planted together in a friend's garden that knocked me out several years ago. It was Hagley Hybrid, Rouge Cardinal and Viola. Here they bloom at the same time. I now have Hagley Hybrid and Rouge Cardinal together on a post - quite lovely!

Katie