Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

Can't I just prune when they finish blooming?

Carole Westgaard
11 years ago

Does it matter what 'group' they're in - if they stop blooming, wouldn't it be of benefit to just cut them back by about a third?

Westy

Comments (9)

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Really depends on which Clematis they are and how old they are. Some would benefit from harder pruning than that.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Where I am if I cut back my type 3's, which bloom relatively late, after they bloom, they'd be putting out a lot of new growth just before frost.

• jumpindogs
    11 years ago

Last year I cut my Elsa Spath, Prince Philip and Dr. Ruppel (all Group 2) back after they bloomed just to see what would happen. They all bloomed again, Elsa the most prolifically...that's my girl! Then I worried that they wouldn't have enough juice to bloom this spring/summer but they are going strong as usual. I don't think I will try that again this year, though.

BTW, I cut all my Clems back to about six inches, regardless of Group, in November after it gets cold. I can't be bothered with keeping track and they all do fine.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Cutting them back after bloom won't affect next years bloom.

I'd do it since it worked for you.

Pruning helps Clematis. It doesn't hurt them unless you do it too close to frost.

I shouldn't have assumed the OP was talking about one blooming right now....

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks buyorsell888. I'm going to prune them back hard as soon as they finish. For several years, they've been sending up a couple of pathetic vines, bloom and then do nothing. Warsaw Nike was my hope because it's supposed to bloom 'all summer' but it stopped. Ramona doesn't improve much year after year nor does one I can't remember but it's gorgeous. The vine dieback drives me nuts too. One or two vines will just quit while another one blooms. Never could figure that out. The roots are completely shaded, I compost, I water. I don't think I planted deep enough for optimal growth.

Westy

• ditas
    11 years ago

All mine except Ramona & QofS are done w/ their Spring show (Elsa, C de Bouchaud, Marie B, Cezanne, P Chiffon) a couple have a vine or 2 going thru beginnings of sudden wilt. Perhaps I should prune (by how much?) & fertilize, to encourage new growth & another surge?

Appreciate thoughts ~ TIA!!!

• ditas
    11 years ago

All mine except Ramona & QofS are done w/ their Spring show (Elsa, C de Bouchaud, Marie B, Cezanne, P Chiffon) a couple have a vine or 2 going thru beginnings of sudden wilt. Perhaps I should prune (by how much?) & fertilize, to encourage new growth & another surge?

Appreciate thoughts ~ TIA!!!

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Pruning and fertilizing with alfalfa especially helps pathetic scraggly vines.

My Ramona only blooms once a year no matter what I do to her.I do not grow Warsaw Nike

• ditas
    11 years ago

Sorry I just posted this ? on another thread, patience please ~

In search of Alfalfa pellets last Spring, the only thing available are bails of alfalfa ~ I ended up using Tomato Tone 'til I find some.
    Meantime, I took a visiting Granddau to a horse farm for some classes this summer & found they fed their horses alfalfa mix ~ they gave me a couple of small bails for a few $$. After blooming done, pruned ~ soaked & clipped the smallish bail & surrounded the base of each of my clems. Is this how it is done if using raw/dried alfalfa & not pellets?

Your thoughts please? TIA

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus