Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't I just prune when they finish blooming?

Posted by westy1941 z5 NO IL (cdwestg@att.net) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 20:47

Does it matter what 'group' they're in - if they stop blooming, wouldn't it be of benefit to just cut them back by about a third?

Westy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't I just prune when they finish blooming?

Really depends on which Clematis they are and how old they are. Some would benefit from harder pruning than that.

o

Where I am if I cut back my type 3's, which bloom relatively late, after they bloom, they'd be putting out a lot of new growth just before frost.

o

Last year I cut my Elsa Spath, Prince Philip and Dr. Ruppel (all Group 2) back after they bloomed just to see what would happen. They all bloomed again, Elsa the most prolifically...that's my girl! Then I worried that they wouldn't have enough juice to bloom this spring/summer but they are going strong as usual. I don't think I will try that again this year, though.

BTW, I cut all my Clems back to about six inches, regardless of Group, in November after it gets cold. I can't be bothered with keeping track and they all do fine.

o

Cutting them back after bloom won't affect next years bloom.

I'd do it since it worked for you.

Pruning helps Clematis. It doesn't hurt them unless you do it too close to frost.

I shouldn't have assumed the OP was talking about one blooming right now....

o

Thanks buyorsell888. I'm going to prune them back hard as soon as they finish. For several years, they've been sending up a couple of pathetic vines, bloom and then do nothing. Warsaw Nike was my hope because it's supposed to bloom 'all summer' but it stopped. Ramona doesn't improve much year after year nor does one I can't remember but it's gorgeous. The vine dieback drives me nuts too. One or two vines will just quit while another one blooms. Never could figure that out. The roots are completely shaded, I compost, I water. I don't think I planted deep enough for optimal growth.

Westy

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 14:27

All mine except Ramona & QofS are done w/ their Spring show (Elsa, C de Bouchaud, Marie B, Cezanne, P Chiffon) a couple have a vine or 2 going thru beginnings of sudden wilt. Perhaps I should prune (by how much?) & fertilize, to encourage new growth & another surge?

Appreciate thoughts ~ TIA!!!

o

Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 14:29

All mine except Ramona & QofS are done w/ their Spring show (Elsa, C de Bouchaud, Marie B, Cezanne, P Chiffon) a couple have a vine or 2 going thru beginnings of sudden wilt. Perhaps I should prune (by how much?) & fertilize, to encourage new growth & another surge?

Appreciate thoughts ~ TIA!!!

o

Pruning and fertilizing with alfalfa especially helps pathetic scraggly vines.

My Ramona only blooms once a year no matter what I do to her.I do not grow Warsaw Nike

o

Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 17:47

Sorry I just posted this ? on another thread, patience please ~

In search of Alfalfa pellets last Spring, the only thing available are bails of alfalfa ~ I ended up using Tomato Tone 'til I find some.
Meantime, I took a visiting Granddau to a horse farm for some classes this summer & found they fed their horses alfalfa mix ~ they gave me a couple of small bails for a few $$. After blooming done, pruned ~ soaked & clipped the smallish bail & surrounded the base of each of my clems. Is this how it is done if using raw/dried alfalfa & not pellets?

Your thoughts please? TIA

o

Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 17:47

Sorry I just posted this ? on another thread, patience please ~

In search of Alfalfa pellets last Spring, the only thing available are bails of alfalfa ~ I ended up using Tomato Tone 'til I find some.
Meantime, I took a visiting Granddau to a horse farm for some classes this summer & found they fed their horses alfalfa mix ~ they gave me a couple of small bails for a few $$. After blooming done, pruned ~ soaked & clipped the smallish bail & surrounded the base of each of my clems. Is this how it is done if using raw/dried alfalfa & not pellets?

Your thoughts please? TIA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here