Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhavenrdgarden

Laugh with me before I cry...

greenhavenrdgarden
10 years ago

Every day this week I have watched my 2nd year Diamantina and Jospehine slowly open. They are both planted in pots with pretty pot trellises side by side. This evening I went out to check if they have opened any further and I found them GONE. My mother in law (who has early stage dimentia) thought they were weeds and pulled them out--flowers and all!!!!

I found them in a plastic bag. They were out of the sun but its hot here. They were out of the soil for a few hours. I soaked what was left of their root balls in water and replanted them. I also trimmed down the vine. Does anyone think they can be saved?

Here are photos from this week and last night :(
{{gwi:605013}}
{{gwi:605016}}
{{gwi:605019}}
{{gwi:605022}}
{{gwi:605025}}

Comments (7)

• grow_darnit
    10 years ago

Oh, no! So sorry about your clematis! You must be devastated.
    In spite of it all, I think the chances of survival are pretty good. You didn't mention what zone you are in, so it's hard to know exactly how hot it was, but the fact that the plants were in a plastic bag is promising. Dry roots are more dangerous than high temps, plastic would keep some moisture in and prevent the roots from completely drying out, at least for a while. You did all the right things, now keep your plants watered and your fingers crossed. I'll be sending good wishes your way! Let us know how it goes.
    Grow.

• Marlene Schmidt
    10 years ago

I agree with Grow....think your plants will survive. Sorry this happened tho.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    10 years ago

I think you did everything right and I hope they'll be OK. They're pretty tough, in my experience. Please let us know later whether they make it.

• mzdee
    10 years ago

Wow. That really puts things in perspective. Sorry that happened and for why it happened. They will come back. I overwintered one and admittedly could have done a better job of planting. Thought it was a goner and yanked it. Days later I realized that the root was alive and kicking. Back into the ground it went, properly. Growing plants require patience. Just like loving people:-)

• mzdee
    10 years ago

Wow. That really puts things in perspective. Sorry that happened and for why it happened. They will come back. I overwintered one and admittedly could have done a better job of planting. Thought it was a goner and yanked it. Days later I realized that the root was alive and kicking. Back into the ground it went, properly. Growing plants require patience. Just like loving people:-)

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm releaved to know they should be ok (even if they will be set back a couple years now). I know that my mother in law meant well. It's painful to watch someone you love slowly deteriorate. Much more painful than any plant. Regardless though i figured that if anyone could understand my disappointment it would be the clematis enthusiasts here. I was taking pics to post here. They were about half way open when they died. I'll try again next year if I get any more flowers :) Thank again. Ill update later when they make progress.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Sorry for the interruption of your clematis growth and bloom. While we understand the sadness and frustration of your MIL's illness we all also understand that you can grieve for your plants as well. Probably a helpful way to let out some of the tension and emotion that may be overwhelming you.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x