Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petals separating at base

Posted by agardenstateof_mind 7a/b NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 21:13

The petals of one of my clematis are separating at the base before the bloom opens. Two blooms had opened as usual, but the rest are tightly closed, though seem large and mature enough to open. When I gently separated the petal tips on one flower, it instantly opened.

There is no sign of distress, disease or infestation anywhere on this plant, which I have had about 3-4 years without any problem.

I cannot recall the name of this variety, a Japanese name I think, single purple flowers with yellow anthers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petals separating at base

I don't quite understand what you mean. Are the sepals (petals) detaching themselves from the stamens (center filaments) and dropping to the ground before the flower opens?

o

Thank you for responding. The sepals are detaching from the base of the stamens, but not dropping - the buds are still firmly closed. It is only on close inspection that one notices that some or all of the sepals are detached. I should have taken a picture.

o

That's what I thought you meant and I've never seen it. It seems like the anthers are holding the sepals (petals) in place? My only thought was the moisture level. But since you have others and this one is 3-4 yrs. old that's unlikely.

A mystery bug is depositing glue!

Sorry I have no idea. Hope it's not a rare disease. Maybe that variety disliked the severe winter? Keep us posted on rebloom behavior.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here