Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What variety do I have?

Posted by justinryan215 6b Hatboro, PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 22:02

I was just wondering,oh gurus of clematis, if anyone knew orcouldgetme close to what variety of clematis I may have purchased four years ago from the local walmart?
Picture:

If it is any help, it seems that it blooms on old wood, and my wife and I thought that itwas dead for the last two years, as it did pretty much nothing...but this year it is going like gangbusters!
Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery Clematis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What variety do I have?

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 22:28

o

Lucky you--Venosa Violaea is a terrific clem. Mine is blooming right now and is so lovely.

I've done that too--planted a clem, it "disappears" for a couple years and I forget I even planted one there, and then suddenly, there it is in all its glory!

Life should always give us such surprises!

Kate

o

Venosa Violacea blooms on new wood so it should be chopped down to a foot tall or so every year. It is a spectacular Clematis that I will never be without.

o

Thank you everyone for the quick response!
I do have one question, though. If it likes a hard pruning, (and lets face it, who doesnt?)why does it seem that it only growes from new wood? Last year, we had nothing (alright, maybe a few small flowers), but this year, this is setting buds left and right. We did not prune it at all, but this year, and for the firsttime, it is really going!
Also, how can I get the plant to be more full (more leaves)? I am growing this clematis up a white lamppost, and it doesnt seem very "bushy" for lack of a better term...

Justin

o

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 20:10

It flowers on new wood. That's why you want to cut it back each year. It will grow new stems and the leaves and blooms will be lower. Someone in your zone can tell you the best time to cut it back each year.

o

The more you cut it back, the more stems you will get.

o

I don't know how similar our Zones 6 are (I'm in Kansas), but I prune Venosa Violacea and my other clems usually about February or so.

Kate

o

I am in zone 4 Iowa and I prune mine a little later as we still have snow on the ground until the end of March.Sometimes it's the first of April or whenever I can see new growth.
Lois

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here