Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Suggestion Please?

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 22:10

I have an old lilac tree planted right beside a very old Blue Mophead Hydrangea. I want to grow a clematis up the lilac tree next year and need help selecting one. I need a clematis that will open right after I deadhead the lilacs in late May or early June. I need help choosing a color that will go nicely with the blue mopheads. I also have peach colored climbing roses along a fence right across from the hydrangea and lilac. I have Guernsey Cream clematis growing amongst the climbing roses. Any suggestions please? Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Suggestion Please?

Late flowering hybrids (group 3) will most likely bloom at the requested time, although the exact blooming time is impossible to predict - too many factors can affect this. viticella hybrids are traditionally recommended for your zone.

As for the color, it depends on the personal preference. I prefer contrasts, so I would choose a really dark purple or a bright red variety to go with your hydrangea.

o

Cadence lives in BC, Canada and that mild, maritime climate accommodates any clematis - she is not restricted except by flowering time and/or color.

Lilacs traditionally bloom in this area by Mother's Day - when I was a child, we would pick bouquets of them for May Day. Most of the type 2's bloom here soon after so you have a pretty wide selection of choices to choose from, not just the late blooming selections. A type 3 is not a bad choice though, as it greatly simplifies pruning chores when you are using a shrub like a lilac for support. I too like the idea of the dark purple/dark blue as well - should show up in the lilac foliage and a great contrast to the peach colored rose and the hydrangea. Hard to beat Jackmanii or Jackmanii Superba both for ease of growth, availability and long bloom season.

o

Our thinking is stereotypical, isn't it? :o)
When I saw zone 8, I automatically guessed it is to the south of my zone 6/7.

Still, even in my zone, type 2 bloom earlier than late May/early June. Type 3 are in their peak right now.

o

Hi Gardengal and Alina.
Thank you both for your suggestions. I like the purple too. So, this was easy...I'm going for Jackmanii Superba! I already have that one in another location and it really is a great clematis for me. Thanks again.

o

Alina - too cool up here :-) Type 2 LFH's really don't start blooming here until May/June - I'm always amazed when I see photos of other gardens across the country with clems in full bloom when mine are just thinking about it! OTOH, I do have three different winter blooming species, so it all evens out.

Type 3's seldom show any signs of flowering until July at the earliest, at least in my location. But they will continue to bloom well into September and often well beyond.

o

It seems that USDA hardiness zone is relevant to winter temperatures only :)

Here is my timing here in Maryland:
April: alpina and macropetala.
May: most of LFH. Group 3 starting their show usually by Memorial day. This year is crazy - everything is so early. The picture of my Piilu in the corresponding thread was taken on May 26th - that baby was in full bloom after being hard pruned in March.

I do have some sparse blooming during summers, but nothing even close to the spring avalanches of flowers.

After all, I have Mums blooming for me right now :)

o

My type IIs are blooming now and my IIIs are just thinking about it. PNW is cool and gray in spring.

o

I have Jackmanii, Jackmanii Superba and Huldine. The vines are growing like crazy now, no blooms yet (no sun) just a lot of rain, however the buds are beginning to get bigger so blooms soon I hope.

I also have a Guernsey Cream that I'm wondering about. This is the second year I've had now. Last month, it had about 6 big blooms and that was it. The stems are growing rapidly throughout my climbing roses, do you think I will see any more blooms this year?

Thanks for your help again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here