Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcskitten

pairing clematis by colours

tcskitten
12 years ago

Hello to all you expert clematis folk! I am located in z6 with acidic clay soil, here in Nova Scotia, Canada.

At 61 years young, hubby and I decided to downsize our home and gardening/lawn space. :)

Gone are the large gardens AND their maintenance! Now its mostly the smaller Hydrangea, and easy care perennials I have. The clematis have always intrigued me, so much so that I had in the past, started several from seed. Anyways, I don't mean to talk your eyes out here, but is there any site that offers ideas on what colours of clematis, pair up nicely with other clematis?

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

Comments (10)

• tcskitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohhh thank you Plantloverkat!!!!
    I just KNEW one of you wonderful folk, would be able help me....
    I am now off to view your suggestions:)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    12 years ago

tcskitten,

I thought I would point out this old thread on color combinations. The discussion highlights how everyone likes different combinations. There are no photos, but perhaps it will help to give you ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: old color combinations thread

• tcskitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, its now 11:22PM Plantloverkat, and I am STILL perusing those links of yours. To say I am in heaven is an understatement :)
    Thank you for the above "old color combinations thread" ..... it was a wonderful and enlightening read.
    Now armed, I am ready for the garden centers (which all have their sales on here :)
    Faye

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

General comment about combinations - pruning is much easier if you match the clematis by pruning type so that clems growing together can be pruned all the same way, and also by size and vigor.

I use the site below to check on clematis that I am considering growing together to see if it looks like they will match well. Since you are going to nursery sales, if you have a phone or notebook computer, you can check right at the nursery. Hint: if you are searching by clem name, only put in one word of the name.

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis on the web

• tcskitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sooo envy you folk!!! Its very difficult to find any large an=mount of variety in Clematis here :(
    Many of you speak of gorgeous plants, but unfortunately none are to be found in my beautiful province .... woe is me

Faye in N.s.

• alina_1
    12 years ago

What is the problem? It seems that only Pacific Northwest Clematis growers are blessed with great Clematis nurseries.

I order 95% of my Clematis (and other plants) online :)
    Better selection and prices.

• tcskitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Really alina_1? I wonder if it'd be a better price for we Canadian shoppers?

Night I ask you AND any others here ... where online you regularly order from?

Faye in Nova Scotia

• tcskitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you each and all, for the help you have been giving this "New-to-Clematis" Bluenoser here.

Faye in Nova Scotia

• alaMel
    12 years ago

I'm new too. I'm pairing up 'festoon galore'(rich purple) with 'ville de lyon'(dark pink). Of course my taste is one of two styles, either bright vivid colors. My favorite combination being dark purple, dark pink, and vibrant orange. I could get them to all bloom the same time. :/ Or simply classic like red and white. My taste is kinda manic. LOL