Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Makes Tiny Holes?

Posted by westy1941 z5 NO IL (cdwestg@att.net) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 23:37

Something is eating the flowers. Not the leaves, just the blooms. Tiny holes, tiny chomps out of the edges of petals. I sprayed today with Bayer's NOT exactly healthy bug killer because I couldn't stand it. The jap beetles aren't here yet...not expected for a couple of weeks. I can't find a thing on them - no worms, aphids, scale, etc. It's something that is very cunning. Any ideas?

Westy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Makes Tiny Holes?

Earwigs.

Go out while it's dark. You will see the hideous things.

o

I just figured that out Janet - just before I got your msg. I'm sure that's it. Now I have to find something to kill those blasted things. The spray I used doesn't mention earwigs. Why do we have to fight insects, heat, drought, wind, frost, pestilence, famine, the Four Horsemen???? It is such hard work to maintain a garden - just isn't fair that these little bastards can make life miserable.

Thanks -- I'm on it...

Westy

o

Sluggo Plus is labeled for earwigs and is safe for pets and wildlife.

One thing to keep in mind when spraying insecticides, if they are not systemics, you have to hit the bug to kill it. Spraying at random does no good.

Systemics get into the plant's vascular system and kill the bug when they eat the plant. The rest are contact kill.

o

buyorsell - can you recommend a systemic? I could ask at the garden center but I trust Gardenweb more! They tried to sell me something for $54 bucks the other day. Some Bayer product. It didn't mention earwigs. I saw one tonight...yuk. I did put down some regular Sluggo that I use on the hosta when desperate. We'll see tomorrow!

Btw, what works for J. Beetles? They'll hit any day now...but I don't believe I've ever seen them on the clems. The decimate everything else - especially the climbing hydrangea.

Westy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here