Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Misc Questions that trouble me !

Posted by kris2001 6a - s.e.PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 23:54

My potted henryii ...3 y.o plant ...bloomed big last year, this year blooms are small...I give it m.gro once a while...Its in a 14'diax14'h pot.What to do to get big blooms?

Should I dead head clems-how?

Also JBs are munching 'em too...Do JBs love clems?

Can I grow jackmanii in a pot?If so how big?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Misc Questions that trouble me !

Kris..did you hard prune your "Henryi" this past Spring?..hard pruning a pruning group 2 can give smaller blooms on the first round of flush but larger on the second..try giving your clems some rose or Tomato fertilizer instead..you want the middle number of the N-P-K ratio ie the "P" to be higher than the other two for bloom power..
yes, you can grow any clem in pots...at least 18" X 18"..and they must drain well..consider your zone as to protection in winter as well..I know nothing about JB's ..don't have that problem here..Jeanne

o

No I didnt hard prune, just pruned to about a foot thats all.

Can someone tell me if I should "Deadhead" Clems like people do for roses... to rebloom?

If so how do I deadhead? Or shall I leave an old bloom to wither away by itself?

o

Pruning down to 12" is considered hard pruning..."Henryi" is a pruning group 2 which means he blooms on vines that grew from prior growing seasons and hard pruning will delay bloom period and can cause smaller blooms....Yes, deadheading all plants including clematis is advised if you are not wanting mature seeds for planting..removing seedheads is important because your plant uses up alot of energy making seedheads when it could be using that energy to grow more vines and produce more blooms...always fertilize after the bloom cycle is over and water well...Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here