Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

question

Lynn Nevins
14 years ago

About 3 months ago I bought a small Clematis plant (double blue maybe or something?). In any case, when I bought it, there were a number of very thin brown stems coming up from the soil...maybe 2-3" high...and among them were the beginnings of some green leaves...very tiny though.

I brought it home and repotted it into a larger pot (about 10-12" in diameter) and added ammendments to the soil. Covered it with rocks.

While I don't get much direct sun, the plant now has two long vines that are climbing up my trellis. One vine is probably about 4' high now. Overall the plant appears healthy. As the vine grows up my trellis, the leaves will get more sun...it's the base of the plant that has a harder time getting sun...

I know that clematis needs sun, but clearly my plant gets enough that the vines are growing. Do you think at some point I may see flowers and if so when? Right now the leaves aren't that big...the largest are maybe 2" long x 1" wide....

Also, should I be concerned that I only have two vines coming from this plant and not more? Will the two existing vines ever "spread out"? Right now they just seem to be growing straight up, but nothing is branching OUT from them so it looks sorta "boring". :-)

And what should I do at the end of the growing season? Cut it back or leave it? Will it come back again next Spring, assuming it survives the Winter?

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz