Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petit Faucon

Posted by summermusicz4ia 4 IA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 0:35

Just bought a Petit Faucon, have always grown type 2 & 3's before. Have an old iron chair w/out a seat, could grow it up thru the chair. Someone mentioned letting it flop down over a raised bed. I have several walls with gray landscape block which would be in some A.M. sun & shade rest of the day. Actually it's feet would have sun & draping plant the shade (reverse order of most clems). Am open to all suggestions from Petit Faucon growers.
Thanks, Marlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petit Faucon

Mine is in partial sun and does just fine. It took it four years to get established and then POW it is a bloom machine. It is also smothering neighboring plants. I plan to cage it next year. I could flop down over a bank nicely.

It does not matter if sun is on feet or not, what the old adage means is that they need moist soil. They do not tolerate drought. You do not need to place them where their root zone is in the shade.

o

I am in z3/4 and this is my 2nd full summer with PF. It has swallowed one of those smallish wrought iron obelisks and smothered it with twisted blue blooms and silky seedheads. Truthfully, it is as pretty to me covered with the frilly ripening seedheads as it was covered in blue flowers.
Mine is planted in full sun all day (then again, we have not had a warm summer here this year!) I love either idea you mention with this plant. If it is a low retaining wall, the spilling over look might be really nice. As mine is massed aroudn this short obelisk, I can;t tell a lot aobut the stems. I am wondering if they are more thick and brittle, or flexible.... Hmmmm. If the stems are lsee flxible, the chair otpion might be the way to go. I will check mine tomorrow.

o

Jennie, Thanks for sharing your PF experience. How tall is the obelisk you are using? Interested to hear if your stems are brittle or flexible.
Marlene

o

Hi,

My Petit Faucon stems are definitely brittle. It grows between a leucoethoe and an itea and is glorious. It's one of my three nominees for best all-summer performance. (The other two are Harlow Carr and Sizaia Ptitsa -- which gives me a lot of violet, but I'm not complaining.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here