Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ville De Lyon

Posted by Sarah237 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 5:44

I've bought what I thought was a Clematis Ville de Lyon from an online shop and the first bloom is quite a deep purple. I assumed they had sent the wrong variety but they've emailed to say the young plant will have purple blooms and as it matures I will get the desired magenta. Are they having me on or is this indeed the case? Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ville De Lyon

Well, it doesn't look like my Ville de Lyon at all. Not only is the color wrong, but my VDL isn't ruffled like that, nor does the center look like that. I think you've gotten a mislabled plant. I like the one you have, but don't think it's VDL. Sorry.

o

I agree with Ophelia. Here's my Ville de Lyon the year it was planted or its second year and the color is true on my monitor.
From garden photos 07

If you repost asking for suggestions of the name you may get an ID. If you got it from a reputable nursery they should be willing to replace it if that's important to you since it isn't what it's supposed to be.

o

Villa de Lyon is one of the easiest to identify IMO. I'm surprised that the nursery told you that that plant could be VDL. It's not. It's pretty, I like the purple, but its not VDL for sure.

o

There are a lot of purple/red bi-colors, but this photo looks a lot like Hania, at least in my garden. If so, Hania blooms very early in the spring, with deep purple petals & wide deep red bars. Anthers are fairly large like this one. It also blooms again in the summer with much less color. I don't think the photos on COTW are very accurate for Hania.

o

That is NOT Ville de Lyon!

o

I have Ville de Lyon but it didn't bloom for me till last year. It's at least 4 years old and planted at the base of a viburnum and a New Dawn climbing rose. So far this year there were 3 blooms. And the flowers do look like the picture posted at Bluestone Perennials where I ordered it.

Kat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here