Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenobsessednewbie

Trellis Mate for Etoile Violette??

I have one trellis with Ville de Lyon and finally have decided to make Prince Charles her trellis mate.

Now I have a second trellis that is empty. I want something dark/vibrant purple and have come up with Etoile Violette (violet star?). I have no idea what to put with her. I originally thought that a bright yellow would be beautiful, but COTW couldn't find any with my search criteria. Now I'm thinking maybe white? Please offer any suggestions/experiences and photos are always loved. ;)

The E.T. isn't necessarily set in stone either, so if you know of a better dark purple, please share.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (12)

• Joan Dupuis
    11 years ago

Huldine is a nice one if you want white.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I have her with 'Betty Corning' but Betty swamps her, she is a rampant grower.

'Helios' is a small yellow but hard to find.

My 'Huldine' is twenty feet up in a plum tree but I don't prune her hard every year. A big grower....

• pmermakov
    11 years ago

My Helios is suckering and going crazy on me. I will need to contain her in a pot or move to a location where going crazy is not a problem. I have Huldine planted with Etoile Violette and really like the combination. I have a picture on my thread in the Gallery about small flowered clematis.

• GardenObsessedNewbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@pmermakov...your photos are breath taking! But now I'm so overwhelmed and confused! There are so many beautiful choices and I don't know what to choose. I definitely see how this is going to become my new obsession, next to Heucheras. For now I am limited to the 2 trellises that I have...next year is a whole different ballgame. I see my back property/fence line being covered in trellises. ;)
    Since I want purple now, is Etoile Violette the best choice? I'm seeing so many in your photos that now I'm not sure.

*Also, is Brushwood a good source for purchasing? Is there a better one?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Brushwood is great. I also buy from Silver Star Vinery and Hummingbird Farm. The plants from all three have done well for me planted directly in my garden. Joy Creek has an excellent reputation also. These 4 nurseries tend to carry at least some different varieties from each other, though there is much overlap as well.

I have Viola that is deep purple and Venosa Violacea that has purple and white flowers. Both are lovely. I like deep blue-purples with both white and with paler blue-purples.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Until a mole exposed the roots and killed it my Helios never once suckered, seeded nor went crazy. It never grew over six feet tall either.

Now, Bill Mackenzie had to go as it was a hot mess.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

I so understands the obsession with clematis. I was hooked last summer and I now have over 60 of them!
    As far as Brushwoods is concerned. I ordered 36 of them from him this winter. They came this spring and they are all thriving. I have no complaints. And his customer service is excellent.
    I also orders 4 from Debbie at Silver Star. Her plants are just as good if not even better although her shipping was more (but still reasonable).
    Funny bc my newest obsession is heucheras. Lol. That and hydrangeas and Japanese maples. I can't help it. I'm indecisive. I want it all!! Lol.
    Good luck with your clematis collection. I second the pairing with Huldine. They look nice together and they are both about equal in size and bloom.

• GardenObsessedNewbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GreenHavenGarden...

Were we seperated at birth?!

I also LOVE hydrangeas and japanese maples! Funny! I don't know where you live, but on the freak chance that you are near me...check out Metro Maples. He has over 100 varieties! He doesn't ship though. :( www.metromaples.com It would also be a great site to just bookmark because it does have a ton of information.
    Thanks for the info on BW and SS...I'll eventually buy from both I'm sure.

~Melissa

• pmermakov
    11 years ago

Hi, I just thought I would post my pictures of Huldine with Etoile Violette:

{{gwi:572058}}

{{gwi:608247}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Etoile violette is a fine choice, but if you would like more of a dark purple on the dark blue side rather than the more magenta side, do try Viola. She is a very heavy bloomer on a pillar for me and I think she would look even better with a good white clem.

Kate

• GardenObsessedNewbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@pmermakov...

Love Love Love your photos of ET and Hudline. I have purchased and plan on planting them together, from your earlier suggestion. I only hope that mine will look as beautiful as yours. Any suggestions or special tricks to making them fabulous???

• Moira_Kate
    10 years ago

What are your vines climbing on? My President is growing much to wide for my trellis and have to do something different. Thanks.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County