Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in Leaf of Very Young Arabella

Posted by poitou 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 6:32

I bought a clematis Arabella last week 18 - 24 inches tall. When I went to plant it, the two stems were both broken at the bottom. I took these off for cuttings and planted the reminder which now has just 2 leaves above the soil line. 2 days ago, one of the leaves had 2 holes in it. I put down some slug pellets. Yesterday, the pellets were still there - no dead slugs and an extra hole.

Please advise me what I should use on this young plant to get rid of the insects.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in Leaf of Very Young Arabella

Until you know what is eating the leaves, any suggestions will be wild guesses. I'd go out at night with a flashlight to see if you can catch the culprit. A photo of the plant's setting and what the holes look like might help, or you could set up earwig traps since they seem to be a problem most places this year and it can't hurt.

Here is a link that might be useful: earwig thread

o
RE: Holes in Leaf of Very Young Arabella

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at images of earwig damage and it does look a bit like that. Here is a photo. I'll go out tonight as suggested with torch. The clematis is alone on the lawn next to a large evergreen shrub which I hope it will grow through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here