Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie need suggestions

Posted by ohiovalleygardener 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 8:40

I am a fairly new gardener. Just working on my yard for the first time. Last week I past a home that had the most beautiful dark purple clematis over an arbor type thing over the sidewalk to their house. I so want to grow one similar but have never grown them. Are they terribly difficult to grow and where is the best place to get seed to get started? Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie need suggestions

Growing clematis from seed takes years and devotion to get a mature plant, and they rarely come true from seed.

You would be better off ordering vines from one of the online clematis vendors. The dark purple you saw was probably a Jackmanii, but Polish Spirit looks similar and is more reliable, grows faster, and a great clematis for someone new to gardening and clematis.

o

Great suggestions from Janet. As you are a newbie, I would suggest you visit Home Depot, Lowes, Menards,a local nursery, etc and buy a clematis in a gallon pot instead of ordering a small plant through the mail. These are common varieties that are easy to find at local stores.

o

Silver Star Vinery carries Polish Spirit although they are sold out right now. She also isn't shipping now, but might in fall. I forget if she ships in fall. Anyway, you can call her when she will have plants ready to ship. Silver Star Vinery ships clematis with the best root systems. Quality plants that are worth the cost.

o

Your local garden centers/nurseries should sell Clematis. They are more likely to have a better selection, higher quality and more accurate labeling than big box stores.

Polish Spirit is a great choice as is Etoile Violette.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here