Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nvl4

Questions about Nelly Moser

NVL4
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I bought my first NM Clematis this spring and received a little vine in the mail. It was thin and broke in a storm. Before it broke though, it wasn't looking very happy, so after it broke, I dug it up and put it in a biodegradable pot and have babied it and it has we growth, but it's not doing much. Is it working in roots or is it more likely it is just sitting there? How much shade should I give it? I will probably keep it potted this summer and may plant it either this fall or next spring. Should I fertilize it? I monitor it's water closely as those peat pots dry out do easily. I was thinking if at least dropping the peat pot into a bigger pot this weekend so it's a little safer, would that be the best thing for it?

Also, the roots are peeking out. Does it need to sit deeper or will that cause it's roots to rot?

Comments (8)

• NVL4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should clarify-this is my first clematis ever, which happens to be a nelly Moser. I was looking for something to tolerate shade and provide screening for our porch.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

I'm no expert, but I think it's making roots and you should continue to baby it. If it were me, I'd add soil to cover those roots you have showing, but I wouldn't fertilize it. I'm always afraid I'll add too much fertilizer and kill the darn thing off. I might put it in a larger pot because peat dries out so fast, but if you've kept it alive this long, you seem like you're more careful than I am about watering. I'd just keep on with what you're doing for babying.

• NVL4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ophelia T. I peeked under the pot( between it and the 2nd peat pot -I had it sitting in two and the roots were poking through so I did go ahead and put the peat pot unto a garden pot. Hopefully it's happy -oh and I gave it a little top dressing to cover it's nekkid roots. :)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

It sounds like you are really helping this little guy out! I have found that the ones I order online really do have to be babied a lot and I will no longer plant mine directly into the ground like I was doing this year. They are just too small. And then squirrels come by and eat the leaves off. -_-

I have always been terrified of fertilizing my plants but I finally decided to get over my fear last week and fertilized my clems, hydrangeas and roses. I had a small baby john davis that was looking pretty awful and the cane had been completely knocked off down to the soil. I fertilized it and it has put out three baby canes in a week.

Good luck! It sounds like your nelly will be just fine now!!

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

All clematis should be planted deep so add an inch of potting soil to that pot. Pinching out the tips once it grows a bit more will help too.

They do need regular fertilizer especially if in pots and when you do plant it into the ground make sure you plant it deep and cut it back.

Clematis are high maintenance, especially when young.

• NVL4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I fertilized my NM and she shot up a good foot of vine and set a bud. I was going to cut it back until I saw the bud and I thought I would enjoy the blossom before I pinch her back! Here is a picture the bloom. Please ignore the ugly pot she is in -"bloom where you are planted" and all that.

• NVL4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It isn't trellised so I just coiled the vine and set the bud in the pot. :)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Wow - congrats! I do the same thing with the blooms. You have to let them bloom and enjoy them for just a little bit :o)