Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Elsa Spath?

Posted by adiro 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 8:56

Hi, I purchased several clematis throughout the spring and summer, and they are my first.
I bought two labeled Montana Alba, with a beautiful picture on the label. One of them didn't flower yet, one gave me some blooms, in spite of staying really small ( no more than two feet tall). When I planted it, I found a fingernail size label in the dirt, saying Elsa Spath. The big label hanging on the plant was Montana Alba, that was I was hoping for. The flowers look like this:hydrangea;
Unfortunatelly, thinking it's a montana I was hoping on it growing large and covering the fence, however it looks so small and insignificant behind the hydrangea that I have in front.... many catalogues list it as a compact container variety, is it elsa spath and will it stay small? clematis The flowers are much smaller than the Elsa Spath description adn they look darker than the pictures I've found too.
Please confirm, or ID otherwise, thank you!

PS: Thanks to Carol, that explained how to post pictures, I was also testing the techinque in this post, I just opened a Photobucket account :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Elsa Spath?

It looks like "Elsa Spathe" to me...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

o

Adiro, it looks like some of the photo's of Elsa Spath but I don't grow this one. Sometimes the blooms will be a little smaller on a new plant and the color in photo's depends so much on the climate and camera that was used that it makes it difficult to ID them from photo's at times. I doubt that it will get as big as a Montana, no matter who it is.

Carol

o

I dont have Elsa, but have seen it locally and loved it!

Terry

o

Thank you for answering, yes, I am happy s long as the plant is healthy, I'll be happy whatever it is because it's pretty. and my color schemes went down the drain anyway, with all the misslabeled plants that I bought. ( My roses my lilies my clems mostly all were mislabeled, so I have an ALL COLOR backard now)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here