Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who am I?

Posted by aftermidnight Z7b V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 9:01

This little clemie species I think, was given to me a few years back as a seedling. It's one you cut to the ground each year and it grows like wildfire, and yes it does seed itself all over the place if you don't cut it back soon enough, but I love it's dainty little flowers.
Anyone know which one it is? Heres a picture of it reaching out trying to swallow the door of the greenhouse that I leave open all summer.
Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who am I?

Don't know but it is lovely.

o

it looks a lot like one I had from Brushwood which they called Clematis viticella. The pictures on Clematis on the Web are rather different so I don't know if mine is right or not.
roseberri

o

Roseberri, I think you're right, or it's darn close. The shape of the flower and color is very close to mine. Looking on the web I've seen two different ones claiming to be Viticella, one more a blue shade, the other had reddish tones. Different cameras, different light? Is yours a rampant grower? I cut mine to the ground each year and by July it's up and trying to smother everything in sight :).

Annette

o

yes, Annette,
mine is young but it has always scrambled to the top of the arbor(9 ft.)it is supposed to get 10 to 16 feet. It seems to be a tough little cookie! Does yours bloom all summer ? Mine has stopped now and I trimmed it back hoping for rebloom but not sure it will do this. Cant remember about it's habits last year.
roseberri

o

roseberri, mine definitely covers a large area easily 14-16 feet. I've had for a good number of years, still full of flower but seedpods also. it wanders through 2 roses, a rambler and a D.A. climbing rose. It also reaches out and rambles through my raspberry bed LOL.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here