Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenw_1

New in clematis

jenw_1
18 years ago

Hi all! Recently after seeing a neighbor of a friend had a gorgeous blue clematis blooming, I got myself some. I bought some with blooms/buds and others not (7 of them). Recently a clematis tagged 'Reiman' has its 1st flower but it looked nowhere like the picture. It looks more like clematis Rouge Cardinal from a clematis book I got from library. It is dark, velvety red and rounded petals(it's actually a little curving to the back instead of flat and about 4"wide) with creamy white filaments tipped with dark brown color. I was dissapointed because I really wanted a clematis which is purple with red in middle of petals. Yet, after looking at how pretty this red one is, I'm loving it. I don't know how to post pictures but is there any other clematis that is similar to Rouge Cardinal which I should be aware to id this supposedly 'Reiman'. Any advice about how this clematis Rouge Cardinal is welcome. Thank you so much. Happy growing!

Jen

Comments (4)

• kansasgirl
    18 years ago

Hello,

Its nice to see another Kansas clematis grower. I am from Emporia where are you from. I read more than I post but I had to post to welcome you. One website that I love for identifying clematis I have linked at the bottom of my post titled clematis.

Good luck growing your clematis. Its very addictive I have over 70 clematis!

Kelli

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis

• jenw_1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Kelli! Thanks for your post. I did do some checking around and now I have doubt it is Rouge Cardinal cause there is more purple in it than red (after yesterday's rain). I'm in Wichita and I found most of my plants in Lowe's and Walmart. Where did you get yours? Wow, you have 70??!! Where did you grow them all? Bet you have a big yard. I don't. So, I planted a few in pots. Am planning for future flowerbed. Love to grow them around an obelisk. Yes, I agree with you it's addictive!! Now I keep checking around where there are plants to see if they've clematis. Thanks again for replying. Enjoy your clematis.

Jen

• kansasgirl
    18 years ago

Hello,

I live in Emporia and I don't have that big of a yard. I have found out that you can plant several clematis together on the same trellis. I get mine several places. I got a lot of mine at Arnold's Greenhouse in LeRoy but after this years experience with them I will not go back. The roots weren't developed well for the price. I went there the first day they opened so the tags wouldn't be switched so I could get the exact clematises on my long list. Unfortunatly they were mismarked!

One place I have gotten several good deals is at Wal-Mart and Sutherlands. Sutherlands had a bunch of 2 year old clematises but they weren't labled correctly but they were soooooooo healthy I couldn't pass them up.

What clematises do you have? Are there any you want to get but haven't found yet? What other flowers do you like? I am so excited to get to visit with you.

If you want you can email me at bktolbert@sbcglobal.net and we can talk flowers.

Kelli

• Barbara Kelly
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I was just looking to identify my Clematis, and aparently it is a Hakuookan. It is a lovely purple. I thought the winter had killed it, but it has come back very vigorously. I bought this at Walmart last year. I was wondering if there was anything special I needed to do for it? The photo makes it look blue, but its a pretty deep purple.
    {{gwi:609189}}

DD

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor