Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoot1_gw

How many Clematis?

hoot1
16 years ago

How many clematis would you put on an average size trellis? Say, one that is about 6 ft. tall.

Dawn

Comments (64)

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

It's a Southern Thang..we spell and pronounce it Huzzy but means the same thing..I'm admittedly a Clematis slut! or just flowerSlut period!!..

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Jeanne, you are correct. It is a southern thing. Those northerns and PNWers just don't get the southern dialect and how we reinvent words by the way we pronounce them.

Ditto for me. I was originally going to write clematis slut but thought someone might be offended. Maybe we should have name tags that say "Clematis Sluts--Will Work For Plants."

One plant on a 6 foot trellis. Sounds like a waste of real estate for me!! Just like Lays Chips, you can't have just one.

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

This thread is cracking me up!

But thank you for the [potentially biased] advice. :0P

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

"One plant on a 6 foot trellis. Sounds like a waste of real estate for me!! Just like Lays Chips, you can't have just one"
    Never a truer word ever spoke by such a sweet Southern Gentleman ( did you hear my southern drawl.,..Makes Scarlet O'Hara sound like a Northerner dahlin')
    Yup..I'd work for plants!!..
    ps..I'm a big cutup and would hope that no one would ever take my jest personally for my Motto is "Girls just Wanna Have Fun"..even when we garden!!

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Ok, I know Australians pronounce Aussie like Ozzy but did not know Southerners pronounce hussy like huzzy. LOL

Just got home from a business trip in Atlanta GA but the word never came up. LOL

I apologize if anyone is offended by my use of the word "slut"
    ;) I certainly include myself as a plant slut.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I certainly didn't take offense BorS. Like I said, I would have used it myself.

I would have liked to have known the company you kept in Atlanta if the word huzzy did come up! LOL Would have been a wild group of people no less.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

BorS, while you were in the south, did you perhaps hear the words "bless your heart", "I'm fixing to", "down the road a piece" or "over yonder"? :-). We do tend to have our own unique way of saying things in the south. LOL.

Carol
    who is a rose/clematis huzzy and proud of it :-)

• janetpetiole
    16 years ago

Hey, watch your mouth Jeannie! Ok, ok, you are probably right. ;-)

I have 4 foot wide trelleses and cannot imagine putting 4 clematis on the them. Two is plenty. :-)

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Jeanne, btw, I've been calling it jungle gardening instead of cottage gardening for years :-). I like it. Somebody did steal your husband. Wish they would come take mine and replace him with one that wants to make new beds and take down trees :-)...

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Great phrase Carol. My take on it is Secret Gardening in memory of the Secret Gardens in England that are filled with so many plants that it is overgrown and provides plenty of hiding places for small children.

Another good one Carol is "it's coming up a cloud" which means it looks like it might rain.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Secret garden sounds much more refined than jungle garden, Miquel. I have plenty of hiding places for small children and lost garden tools...many of my clippers have disappeared into the jungle. Deb at Silver Star finally sent me a pair of hers this spring. :-)

Carol

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I'm fixin' to go buy me some more clematis because I be a Clematis/Rose Slut...I'm gonna plant some over yonder yall next to my roses ...Janet..you keep hangin' here hon and you'll be stickin' clematis where you never thought you woulda!!..That's a given..LOL..I have 8 clematis in my retaining garden in pots that are buried in the ground and am thinkin' about ordering 5 more..that is if Murray will ever answer my bloody email...He says he's out of one of the ones I want but I just know he's got one hidden in the greenhouse with my name on it!!..It's a gut feelin'...Jeanne

• janetpetiole
    16 years ago

Maybe some day, Jeanne, maybe...

Which 5 clematis are you planning on buying?

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

No, I didn't hear those phrases but I did eat my first fried green tomatoes and they were delicious!

I did notice that waitresses,no matter their age, called us "honey" and other endearments every time they spoke to us.

It was my second business trip to Atlanta for the gift and home accessories show at the America's Mart downtown and I found everyone very friendly.

I noticed how green the area was when flying in. I noticed how red the soil is and how flat the area is. Many more deciduous trees than I am used to and our grass is brown in summer here. I saw Kudzu too. Wow, the vine that ate The South for sure.

I wish I had had more time to sightsee. I really want to go to Zoo Atlanta and the botanical garden and aquarium and I wanted waffles and fried chicken at the Waffle House but my boss wanted fancy sushi instead.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Jeanne way too funny. I have several clematis on order for fall delivery. Keeping what I have watered is proving a chore the past few weeks. I have just ordered more tubing and diverters with valves so I can tap into the two drip irrigation systems I currently have. I know it appears you have been having loads of rain in your area Jeanne.

BorS, I like fried green tomatoes also. There is a place here in Winston-Salem called Sweet Potatoes that serves a whole boat load of southern type foods including fried sweet potatoes. Too bad you didn't have enough time to enjoy all the sites in HOTlanta!

PS, check out the vines forum. There is a thread called clematis that you responded to and then I did about clematis and their water requirements vs. the need for cool roots. I got Dan Long of Brushwood involved in the thread since someone was trying to use information from his site to insist clematis needed cool roots. Perhaps the matter has been laid to rest for now anyway. I am going to copy Dan's response incase GW powers that be decide to delete it.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

You mean no one called you Shug or shugah?..Hon or honey is quite common..hon...I was raised on "Fried Green Tomatoes".....you mean everyone wasn't!!..hopefully the place you eat them from Miguel does them properly and using cornmeal instead of flour!! I read the retort on the vine forum and even copied and pasted and sent to myself..very well put..didn't know Dan was home!!..
    Let me see..ok, I'll tell my sinful secrets!!..I've got these clematis in my retaining gardens...1 "Markham's Pink" 2 "Josephines" 2 "Beauty of Worcester" 2 "Franziska Maria" and 1 "Violet Charm"
    I want to order "Ashva","Hoshi no Flamenco","Akaishi" "Tentel" and I really would like "Belle of Woking" and a good "Multi-Blue"..mine is three years old and so disappointing!!..
    Jeanne

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Sugar is so commonly said here I didn't even think of that one.

Jeanne, you bad girl. One of each isn't enough? Oh well, like I said, clematis are like Lays--you can't have just one.

Glad you liked the posting Jeanne. I just wish people would let that "clematis need cool root runs" myth die once and for all.

So far, I have ordered Royal Velours, Carmencita, heracleifolia Mrs. Robert Brydon, and Prince Charles from Donahues for fall shipment. Those will be potted up and grown out until sometime next year. I told Debbie I wanted montana 'Broughton Star' and Radiance for certain so she has my name on them and I will probably succumb and add a few others. Dan knows of several that I will be ordering from him this fall as well. Oh well, and I said I wasn't going to order any this fall. I can't tell you how many pots of seeds I plan to sow this fall!!

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

The fried green tomatoes I had were coated in cornmeal.
    Jeanne, do you know how to make them? I will have green tomatoes, they never all ripen here.....
    I had sweet potato fries and deep fried asparagus too.
    I've never had fried food before that was so crispy and not greasy. Ever.
    Even Chic-fil-a which we don't have here had excellent fried chicken strips. I came back from both trips raving about the fried foods.

Waitresses may have said Shugah but I don't remember.

I remember that thread but never went back to check on it. I'll have to go see.

I have Arctic Queen, Florida seiboldii, Cassis, Pink Fantasy, John Warren, Haku Ogan and NOID who I think might be Pallette sitting in pots unplanted....

I'm debating on that yellow foliaged atragene they have at Plant Delights. I dug out Willy and Rosy O'Grady because their colors are too pale against my weathered gray cedar fence and gray skies and I need two new atragenes.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

BorS, I went to Plants Delights this spring for their open house and had thought about getting the chartreuse colored Clematis alpina 'Stolwijk Gold' that you are talking about. I thought that I would give the alpinas another try and thought this one would be a novelty due to the foliage color, but the quality of the plants was just pathetic and I decided for the money that I could get something better at another time. Perhaps what they had was leftovers from their spring mailings and what they have now and would ship this fall would be better looking, but I was not impressed by what was available this spring at the open house. I have purchased several other clematis from them in the past and they have done well, but you do pay a premium for anything you purchase at Plant Delights and it tends to be rather small for the money.

Saw your posting on the other thread about clematis. Thanks for the kind words.

When I have made fried green tomatoes in the past I have used corn meal also. Basically you slice the tomatoes and dredge them in the corn meal. I have heard of people actually coating them in beaten egg and then dredging them in the corn meal. One thing my mom taught me regardless of how you do fried food is that if you coat something in flour or corn meal or whatever, if you let the coated product sit for 10 minutes or so prior to frying it, more of the coating stays on the substrate instead of falling off in the oil. Same goes for fried chicken which gets double dredged in flour after it is soaked in buttermilk for a while.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Thank you for the frying lessons and comments on Plant Delights. Yes, I was speaking of that Clematis.

My mother did not fry anything. The only fried chicken I had growing up came from Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I have tried to fry chicken. I lost my coating. LOL Made a huge mess in the kitchen too. A online Southern friend said to use self rising flour to get a nice fluffy crust and it worked until it fell off. I'll have to try again and let it sit for awhile. I did soak in buttermilk.

Neither of my grandmother's fried anything either.

We do deep fry turkeys on a regular basis. Boy are they delicious but chickens aren't as good. I think they need the breading.

One of the most fascinating things about the Inet to me is meeting people from other areas and swapping recipes and learning about their foods. The South is especially interesting to me. I've been on a trip through The South, but I was in high school. Have always wanted to go back. Missed Savannah and Charleston and didn't get to try regional foods. It was a budget trip with church youth group and we ate at McDonald's mostly. :(

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I forgot to Mention the Clematis "Betty Risdon"..too..I saw a pic of her and she really rivals "Omoshiro"..so I want to add her to my list!!
    As far as "Fried Green Tomatoes" Southern Style..you can do as Miguel said..Having the oil hot enough is key..otherwise the coating falls off..I'm really big on double dipping too
    1 extra large egg
    4 tablespoons milk
    2 cup cornmeal
    3 green tomatoes, sliced
    Crisco
    Salt and Pepper
    In a small bowl whisk together egg and milk and salt and pepper( to your liking) . In another small bowl put in your cornmeal or you can put in paper bag..
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; use more or less oil to reach about 1/2 inch in depth.
    Salt and Pepper your slices first on both sides
    Dredge tomato slices first in egg mixture, then in cornmeal.Then again in the egg mixture and then dip in cornmeal.Put your slices in hot oil and cook until browned on both sides.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Having the oil hot enough is something I forgot to add Jeanne. Thanks for remembering. Another thing about the hot oil is that if it is not hot enough, the oil soaks into the chicken instead of searing it (sure that is not the correct word but you know the intent) and you end up with very greasy chicken. This also holds try for any other food you fry. Adding too much stuff in the pan at the same time can cause the temperature of the oil to drop and result in the same thing.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

True Miguel..it sears in the goodness and stops from being greasy..Also, I made a typo..I use buttermilk instead of milk..sowwy...Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Thanks!

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

No problemo Jeanne. Even perfectionists make them. I sure wish they had a temporary edit function as I have made more than my share of mistakes typing!
    Glad to be of help BorS.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I know..I hate that you can't go back and edit your posts here...this is the ONLY site I know where you can't...Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

You can't on the ebay message boards either....:(

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Didn't even know there were eBay message boards BorS. Have done loads of buying there but haven't really looked around much other than the listings it appears! ;)

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Yes, there are a bunch of message boards on eBay. They should be better known because they are a huge resource for buyers and sellers.

Some are help boards, some are groups talking about specific categories.

The PayPal board sucks, there are a bunch of people posting under many names answering every question with negative comments that aren't helpful.

Seller Central and Safe Harbor/Trust and Safety are very helpful boards. For buyers too. Professional Buying is OK but a lot of the posts belong on Trust and Safety instead.

There are boards to help with photos and auction listings.

My biggest tip for eBay buyers is to ALWAYS use your credit card to pay. It is miles safer than any other way.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay boards

• flowergirl70ks
    16 years ago

Someway or other this post went south! I fry my chicken in lard and bacon grease. I'm from the country. Jeanne do you ever cook okra,tomatoes and onion with ham? Thats one of my favorites, used to order this in a restaurant in Perryton when I was delivering drugs down there. To drug stores that is. I have 3 trellis up for Dutchess of Albany and she fills them all. I remember a flyboy from the south who asked me to the movies. He said,"Can I carry you out?" I don't remember what state he was from, maybe Mississippi.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

"Jeanne do you ever cook okra,tomatoes and onion with ham?"
    Of course.. I grew up eating Okra and Tomatoes and also fried okra..
    Maybe the guy said, "Can I take you out"?..My Mother was from Lousiana and my father from Texas so I grew up eating Cajun and Southern fried foods..Fried Chicken?..yummy..do yall use Beer Batter?...Do yall know how to make a roue? Gumbo?..We grew up using Criso for frying and baking our cakes and I still do...just yummy..oh how I want to bake a cake or fry something but none of that is on my South Beach Diet..grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I used to love stewed okra and tomatoes but as time went on, the sliminess got to me. Now fried okra is another story all together.

• flowergirl70ks
    16 years ago

Yes, we fry lots of veggies in beer batter. I do know how to make a roux. And mentioning gumbo has me so hungry , I think I'll have to make some. I don't think okra and tomatoes ever lasted long enough around here to get slimy. When I cook with okra, it is always the last thing to be added, it doesn't take long to cook.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Flowergirl, in the south we cook everything for a long time so sliminess is a given with okra. No crunchy green beans either for this southern guy!

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I know how to make beer battered onion rings and halibut, we cook them in our turkey fryer with peanut oil. YUM but rich.

I know how to make a roux but not a dark brown one for gumbo. Never had gumbo. My online pond friend who lives in rural Texas and is married to a Cajun sent me step by step instructions with photos but I've never tried it. Never had okra either. Don't ever see it here, even at farmer's markets.

I like my green beans on the crunchy side but will eat soft canned ones if they are flavored with bacon. LOL

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

BorS, we grew and canned tons of green beans when I was a kid living at home. I like them cooked to death with onions and ham hocks. When I eat them, I tend to spear a few green beans, some sliced cucumbers that have been soaked in vinegar and water with salt and pepper, and chunks of tomatoes. Sounds weird but is very good!

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Y'all are making me hungry. LOL.

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Dinner time Carol. Another weird but good combo--peanut butter and bacon. Sounds wacko but try it and tell me it isn't good!

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Yeah, we had a real southern dinner the other night. Pinto beans, cornbread, fried "taters" and sliced tomato and cucumbers. :-). I'll have to try that PB/bacon combo.

Carol

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I'm not a big fan of vinegar but DH would love that.

I have no problem thinking peanut butter and bacon is good. I'm sure it is.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Carol, sounds like a true southern supper. Both of you try the peanut butter and bacon sandwiches and let me know how you like them. I like using toasted bread to make it!

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Ok..ok..here ya go..growing up "We Kids" use to eat butter sandwiches with sugar on them...and another favorite was peanut butter/grape jelly with ham and cheetos..it's really really delish!!...LOL...haven't done that in eons..maybe after my diet is over?...Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I'm bumping this up. So sad to read it and know that Miguel is no longer with us! He will be missed.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I wished we could keep this thread going forever so we never forget our favourite Clematis Huzzy..I owe all my Huzziness to him..we love you Miguel

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Hey, Jeanne, I want to get the pronunciation right.

Is it huh zee or ha zee? Or something else?

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

It's Huh zeeeeeeeeee..well done..tee hee..gotta drag out that eeeeeeee

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I had half a dozen Clemmies when I joined this board. I have over 60 now. :)

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Well I need to drag out my tube top and daisy dukes 'cuz I was going to use one clematis to climb the apple tree!!
    I would have made a very good southerner, I love their food and attitude! You can improve the flavor of anything by frying it and who doesn't like a glass of ice cold sweet tea?
    The only thing I don't like about the south is y'all have some big bugs down there!!
    -B (who is looking for TWO clematis glaucophylla's now!)

• carolfm
    14 years ago

It's huhzeeeeeeee...........Miguel taught me to cram them in. He taught me how to be a true clematis huhzeee. I'm still cramming. The more the merrier I say.

Carol, the clematis huhzeee
    in memory of Miguel

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I be a Crazy Clematis crammer too!!..Jeanne,The other Clematis Huhzeee in memory of Miguel