Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pump_toad

Hooray !! My 5 year old Polish Spirit is blooming.

pump_toad
14 years ago

Finally, my 5 year Polish Spirit has some blooms. They are nothing to brag about since they are mostly on the top.Maybe someone can tell me why. I hard prune every spring and the the botton of the vine is full.I am really not complaining since I have waited for blooms for years and I had determined that this summer would be the last chance before I dug it up.

Lois

Comments (4)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Congrats Lois..I've thought about your question from the last time and since you live in such a short growing season zone..I've wondered exactly what month are you hardpruning and are you always fertilizing with rose or tomato fertilizer?...Jeanne

• pump_toad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jeanne. Yes we do have a short growing season and I prune as soon as the snow melts and there is enough growth to prune. I will confess,however, that I use a organic rose fertizer and don't fertilze alot. The soil here is very heavy rich soil and most of my plants are not fertilized and grow beautifully.
    Huldine and ET are loaded with flowers!! Betty is my favorite and the bloom has ended but I usually get a second flush of flowers from her.
    Lois

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

If your Polish Spirit dies all the way to the ground every year and you have to wait for it to grow to have something to prune off, I would skip the pruning. Nature is doing it for you.

Nothing wrong with organic rose fertilizer and not using it a lot if you have rich soil.

• flowergirl70ks
    14 years ago

My Polish Spirit bloomed also, 4th year. Most of the blooms on top like yours. I have it on a trellis with Prince Chas and Venosa Violeuca(sp)Those 2 bloom early and PS is just now blooming,I would say about 20 blooms. I prune in March and use rose fertilizer and mulch with compost. I was ready to dig this year also, it must have heard me threaten it. I bought mine from Song Sparrow along with the others.

Sponsored
VerdeScapes LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Landscape Architects & Landscape in Virginia