Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisies

Rooting Clematis Question?

I have never done this before so I have a question for you clematis experts! :)

I am rooting a section of my rooguchi clematis on a whim that fell off when I was planting it. I've never done this before but I thought it was worth a try since I would have just had to toss it anyway.

I soaked it in a glass of water for about an hour. I didn't have any rooting hormone so I wasn't sure it'd root. I plan on getting some for next time for sure. I have it in a tiny greenhouse that keeps moisture in and is in the windowsill and gets quite a bit of indirect light.

I cut off all the leaves except for the top two. I noticed that it is now growing leaves from the top and where old leaves were at the nodes.

My question are: Since it is putting off new leaves does that mean it's rooted or is it just using previously store energy?When do I remove it from all the moisture and just treat it like a normal clematis? And lastly, how should I overwinter this very young clematis assuming it really is rooted over a zone 5 winter? Is it best to plant it right before winter or keep it in a large pot? We have an unheated garage I could also put it in.

Thank you for any help!

Comments (5)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh oh one more! :) Would some fertilizer help at this stage?

• aak4
    9 years ago

I was wondering the same thing as I'm trying to grow clematis from cuttings. Sorry I don't have any advice but I'm very interested in the response from others with more gardening experience. Great questions... thanks...I'm all ears!

Original Author
    9 years ago

That's great I hope you get some answers as well! :o)

• Freda
    9 years ago

Well I would give it a little tug to see if it was rooted. I use large clear bags and would open the top of the bag first for a day or so and then if it seemed ok would take it out and grow it on, in its pot.
    Actually I usually take the pot that the new plant is in and bury it in my garden in the fall so that the roots are not disturbed. Last summer I had a new rooted clematis that was growing fine so decided to plant it in the garden. It didn't come back this year so the rooted cutting of the same clematis will be left in its pot and buried in the garden this fall.
    Anyway thats my 2 cents for what its worth.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I gave it a bit of a tug but it didn't move. It seemed too soon for it to be rooted but I guess it might be!

Thanks for that tip! I will have to consider that!