Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Transplanting a clematis in the Fall

bellarosa
14 years ago

Just curious, has anyone ever moved a clematis in the Fall and if so, how did it do?

Comments (6)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I do a LOT of planting and transplanting in the fall but you MUST keep in mind that my zone of 8B has a Loooong fall and a wet one at that..making the conditions purrrfect as they have time enough to get their roots settle before winter sets in and my loverly rains keep them happy..My planting time starts in late September till end of November because we rarely have a freezing December..January is my coldest month so you must take into account WHEN you temps are cooler to start your fall time planting and how much time you have...Jeanne

• cnetter
    14 years ago

I've never moved a clematis in the fall, but I did give this one to my neighbor who planted it in the late summer, early fall when the temperature had started to cool off. It was a little that I had planted in a one gallon pot last spring. It was maybe a foot tall when I gave it to her.
    It completely winter killed back, but grew and bloomed very well this year! This is a picture of it about a week ago towards the end of it's blooming season. It is a type three.
    From what I've seen around here, the middle of the summer is the worst time to plant a clematis.
    {{gwi:609431}}

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I planted over 20 clematis early September last fall. Most were in gal. containers but a couple were moved from one garden to another. A few of the smaller ones from Walmart have not come up, most of the others have done well and some are blooming or budding. Planted another one in a gal. container in October and it has bloomed. All were mulched well for the winter.

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

In my zone fall is the best time to transplant, much better than spring (or obviously summer). They get a chance to establish themselves a bit before going dormant and then respond to spring the normal way (lacking some vigor that first year as they adjust).

Cut your clematis back to within a few inches or so from the ground, prepare as big a hole as you can manage, dig out the root system as if digging up a shrub and transplant! Water well but don't fertilize.

• butterclem
    14 years ago

I need to move my Chatsworth to a spot where it will get more sun this fall. Michael, when you caution against fertilizing, you don't mean not to prepare a good basic hole with composted manure, peat moss, and bone meal in it, do you? Actually, I did think I might omit the bone meal. But I don't see how I could create the right environment without the manure. Did you just mean not to fertilize with rose food or a Miracle Gro type food?

Pat

• walla2butterfly
    14 years ago

could someone tell me what I need to do to my new clamtis for the winter?