Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dog chewed up my clematis! help!

Posted by KHershey 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:40

Hello,
Looking for some advice - I'm very new to gardening.
I planted a President clematis two years ago, and it's done well, both with new vines last year and growth off of the older established vines this year. I've loved the blooms. :)
A couple days ago, my husband's dog chewed on one of the older established vines at the base. It didn't chew completely through the vine, but managed to chew off the outer "woody" covering at the base. The exposed vine is now a pale tan. I'm worried. So far there hasn't been any die-back, but should I be worried? Is there anything I should do for it since it's exposed, or will it harden off again? I know I'm thinking ahead, but our winters get pretty bad... Worried that the cold will kill the exposed vine.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dog chewed up my clematis! help!

I wouldn't worry about it. If it isn't wilting just leave it alone. If it wilts cut it off at the break. The plant will likely push more stems from the base. Sometimes I partially break a stem when moving it about and it seems to heal itself if I push the stem back together.

Next spring prune as usual.

o

One of the many lovely things about clematis is that they come back from damage well. I think that since it isn't wilting it will be fine. As far as winter . . . my The President gets killed to the ground by cold pretty much every winter and comes back from the roots and blooms just fine, so I would have no concern about the dog's damage effecting winter hardiness.

o

Oh thank you both!
I've really loved having these vines and was so worried I'd have to completely start over with them. Thanks for the great news! :)

o

KHershey,

As others have said, Clematis are tough little plants. But please do keep an eye on the dog as Clematis are also toxic to dogs (and other animals). If you see: Salivation, vomiting, diarrhea - please take the dog to the vet immediately.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here