Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cool Clematis to pair with Quadra rose?

Posted by true-blue Zone 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 10:59

Hi,

I'm planning to plant a Quadra rose at the side of my arbor (4' x 2' x 8' ).

I would like to plant a clematis, which flowers form July to September.

As Quadra is a red rose, I need a clematis, which tones down the red of the rose, i.e. if there is a second flush :)

Also to have flowers on top of the arbor, especially in the July August period, where the garden is in a dozing period.

So, either White, mauve or purple. No pink. Also, I am not a fan of bell typed clematis (like Betty Corning).

I have a list, wondering any of these will fit the bill.

1) Huldine - Clematis on the web suggests it flowers from June till October. Is that true?
2) I am Lady J - I am not sure if it is more on the pink side or purple side.
3) Prince Charles
4) MANDSCHURICA

Thanks,

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cool Clematis to pair with Quadra rose?

Huldine will outgrow that trellis probably in the first year. Mine does not flower that long. Mine is all the way to the top of a flowering plum tree in three years.

o
Prince Charles

Prince Charles is considerably smaller. It is a periwinkle blue/lavender color. Mine does not flower that long.

o

Hi buyorsell888,

Thanks for your response.
Considering I live in zone 4, I doubt that huldine can grow as much as it does in Portland. And If it does I don't mind as it has to contend with Quadra, which from what I've read can become quite big.
How long does your Huldine flower? And what about Prince Charles? 6 weeks ?

Thanks,

o

I live in zone 5 and my Huldine grows to the top of a crabapple tree - 20 or 30', anyway. It's a beautiful white flowering clematis, but BIG, even here.

o

Hi thanks for your precision.

I realize now, that it can become big. That's not a problem.
What I need to know is when does it flower for you, and how long.
Does it flower in July-August period or more around June - July?
And how long does it flower, 6 weeks?

o

Mine is flowering right now. I've been distracted by my daughter's wedding, but I'm going to guess that it's been in bloom for at least 3 weeks now, and probably longer. I'll try to make a note of how much longer it goes on, and post it here. My best guess is that it does flower for a long period, like rooguchi, but mine must be about 10 years old now. A younger one might not bloom as long. Sorry I can't be more precise.

o

Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

I gather that the older the plant, the longer it flowers.

If it is not much of a trouble to note the end of the flowering, I would appreciate it.

In the meantime, congratulations to you & your daughter.

o

I was at the MN Arboretum yesterday and Huldine was still flowering. It was a large specimen, actually I think 3 plants, along a wall. Lots of blooms.

o

I'm keeping track of how long Huldine blooms, and I noticed that it's still going now. Because it's easier to notice when it is IN bloom as opposed to stopping, I figure I'll just post every so often when I remember, until one day when I observe that I don't see any blooms.

o

Great, thanks

o

My Huldine seems to be slowing down now. There are still a few blooms, but I think the great show is about over. If I look back at the timing, it looks like it bloomed for at least a full month, more likely two! That's impressive in anyone's book, I think. It's also disease-free and unfussy.

o

Thanks so much for taking the time and observing & reporting on Huldine.
It is exactly what I was looking for :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here