Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
true_blue_gw

Cool Clematis to pair with Quadra rose?

true_blue
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm planning to plant a Quadra rose at the side of my arbor (4' x 2' x 8' ).

I would like to plant a clematis, which flowers form July to September.

As Quadra is a red rose, I need a clematis, which tones down the red of the rose, i.e. if there is a second flush :)

Also to have flowers on top of the arbor, especially in the July August period, where the garden is in a dozing period.

So, either White, mauve or purple. No pink. Also, I am not a fan of bell typed clematis (like Betty Corning).

I have a list, wondering any of these will fit the bill.

1) Huldine - Clematis on the web suggests it flowers from June till October. Is that true?

2) I am Lady J - I am not sure if it is more on the pink side or purple side.

3) Prince Charles

4) MANDSCHURICA

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (12)

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Huldine will outgrow that trellis probably in the first year. Mine does not flower that long. Mine is all the way to the top of a flowering plum tree in three years.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Prince Charles is considerably smaller. It is a periwinkle blue/lavender color. Mine does not flower that long.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi buyorsell888,

Thanks for your response.
    Considering I live in zone 4, I doubt that huldine can grow as much as it does in Portland. And If it does I don't mind as it has to contend with Quadra, which from what I've read can become quite big.
    How long does your Huldine flower? And what about Prince Charles? 6 weeks ?

Thanks,

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    11 years ago

I live in zone 5 and my Huldine grows to the top of a crabapple tree - 20 or 30', anyway. It's a beautiful white flowering clematis, but BIG, even here.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi thanks for your precision.

I realize now, that it can become big. That's not a problem.
    What I need to know is when does it flower for you, and how long.
    Does it flower in July-August period or more around June - July?
    And how long does it flower, 6 weeks?

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    11 years ago

Mine is flowering right now. I've been distracted by my daughter's wedding, but I'm going to guess that it's been in bloom for at least 3 weeks now, and probably longer. I'll try to make a note of how much longer it goes on, and post it here. My best guess is that it does flower for a long period, like rooguchi, but mine must be about 10 years old now. A younger one might not bloom as long. Sorry I can't be more precise.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

I gather that the older the plant, the longer it flowers.

If it is not much of a trouble to note the end of the flowering, I would appreciate it.

In the meantime, congratulations to you & your daughter.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I was at the MN Arboretum yesterday and Huldine was still flowering. It was a large specimen, actually I think 3 plants, along a wall. Lots of blooms.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    11 years ago

I'm keeping track of how long Huldine blooms, and I noticed that it's still going now. Because it's easier to notice when it is IN bloom as opposed to stopping, I figure I'll just post every so often when I remember, until one day when I observe that I don't see any blooms.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great, thanks

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    11 years ago

My Huldine seems to be slowing down now. There are still a few blooms, but I think the great show is about over. If I look back at the timing, it looks like it bloomed for at least a full month, more likely two! That's impressive in anyone's book, I think. It's also disease-free and unfussy.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time and observing & reporting on Huldine.
    It is exactly what I was looking for :)