Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back 1st year group II's

Posted by diana_noil 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 11:14

I have a four group II's that were just planted this year. They are all doing well but I would like to cut them back to help them get more established. They are 2-5 feet now. How far do I cut them back?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back 1st year group II's

I wouldn't cut them back until late winter or early next spring. That will stimulate new shoots to emerge giving you a fuller plant. Cutting it back now would hurt your clematis. It is a young plant and it is trying to establish a good root system this year. Taking half of it's food source away by cutting it back could cause root die back. Just leave it alone and keep it well watered. Clematis are long lived plants and take 3-5 years to get well established.

o

I disagree. It won't hurt to cut back your clematis now - cutting back top growth actually stimulates root development, even during the prime growing season. You can safely take the vines back by a third. Plus with some type 2's, a lighter pruning after the initial bloom flush will encourage a later rebloom.

I'd wait until late winter/early spring for doing the recommended hard prune - you could do it now but would need to repeat the procedure again at that time anyway.

flowerfan, we cut back the potted clems at my nursery multiple times a season, both to tidy the vines for maintenance issues, encourage additional flowering and to stimulate root development. Cutback vines actually produce a denser root system than those that do not receive this treatment.

o

I agree with Gardengal. Don't hard prune them all the way to the ground but if you take off about a third you may get more blooms and it is beneficial.

o

Thanks so much for your replies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here