Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I prune before winter?

Posted by clax66 6B (Toronto) (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:34

Hello,
What do gardeners do to tidy up their clematis plants before winter set in?

I planted my clematis (Hyde Hall Raymond Evison Clematis "evipo009") in summer of 2012 and it really leapt this summer. Here is a photo taken on June 28 2014 (blooming periods came a little later for us here). It has grown even higher over the past month.

I'm really pleased about this but as an inexperienced gardener, I'm wondering if it would be okay for me to prune before the winter? The foliage is going to turn to a crisp brown in the winter and it will be quite unattractive beside the front steps entry to our house.

Thanks for responding,
Mira

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I prune before winter?

Your clematis is group II. You normally prune the spent flowers and winter damage if any.

If you prune, i.e. hard prune, your plant who'll flower much later and you might not have the 2nd flush,

However, if you want to remove, the "crisped" brown foliage only, not the stems, it's ok :-)

o

Thank you for your quick response:)

o

Guess I am the maverick here. just want to say I do cut all my clemmies off to about 18" in the fall. No matter what type. I carry bundle off to dispose like a bale of hay. They seem to thrive no matter, Good root system prevails; neat yard faces front. Am not in a position to give each different pruning care but they really aren"t that picky about it. Just enjoy them. I have all 3 types many on house don't show.
(just my .02.) Good Luck with your clematis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here